What do I do about my bragging/rude friend?

My best friend of almost 20 years has a son 7 mo older than my son. She is constantly telling me how wonderful her son is. If i try to talk about something my son has accomplished she quickly cuts me off with "well Johnny did that when he was 5 mo" or "well that's nothing wait until he is walking" or "I wonder why he isn't walking yet" It is starting to put a strain on our relationship and if that's not bad enough the situation is getting so out of hand that everything her or her son does is secretly making me crazy. How can I approach this without sounding rude? The last thing I want to do is hurt her feelings too. Any advice from you fellow moms is greatly appreciated.

BaByNoAhsMoMma

Asked by BaByNoAhsMoMma at 4:38 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your friend of 20 years has probably always been self-centered. You're only just now noticing it because you're feeling competitive with her about your kid.

Think about that. How often in the past did she cut you off and brag about herself before the kids came? Sounds like a one-sided friendship to me...you being the one side that is a friend. She just wants someone to impress.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:56 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• she is just happy about her son change the subject or say ok i have a kid so dont give me all the juicy details or say o im stressed out and the last thing i want to talk about is kids if she gets mad you dont need her a real friend will understands
    Anonymous

• I don't mind talking about OUR kids at all, it's just that she is only interested in the conversation if it is HER kid we are talking about. I am just hurt that she keeps blowing me off. It makes me feel like she thinks my son isn't important to her
    BaByNoAhsMoMma

Answer by BaByNoAhsMoMma at 4:49 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• just tell her hey if we can talk about your kid we surely can talk about mine and if she gets mad there really wasnt any reasoning with her in the first place
    bugbug07

Answer by bugbug07 at 4:50 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• For whatever reason she feels insecure, maybe her son isn't trucking along as quick as she says and she feels like she needs to make him more superior....whatever the reason she isn't being a very good friend, good friends lift you up and ignore you.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 4:54 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• sorry... they don't ignore you! that's better!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 5:10 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• kick her ass
    Anonymous

• Honestly I would be so annoyed with this as well, but all babies learn and grow diffrently. If I had a friend doing this to me all the time I would honestly sit down and tell her how you feel and if she wants to save the friendship she will stop being so rude with you. And if she said my kid did it sooner I would tell her all children learn at diffrent paces it doesn't make your child any better than mine.
    Charlies_mommy

Answer by Charlies_mommy at 5:28 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I would tell her exactly what she is doing and how it makes you feel. Among my friends, my best trait is my brutal honesty. If you can't be brutally honest with your friends, well then with who?
    AM78

Answer by AM78 at 8:12 PM on Jan. 29, 2009