has anyone had a child with unexplainable bruising?

my daughter is going to be going to a hematologist or however you spell it in a few weeks for bruises that are popping up with no known reason and i was curious if someone knew about things that cause that so i know what to expect when i go. She woke up one morning with two bruises and within 2 days she was covered from her shoulders down with bruises. She managed to come up with about five of them sitting in her carseat doing absolutely nothing. As well the doctor said she had blood vessels breaking in her legs. Like I said I'm curious if anyone else's child has had this so I know at least a little of what to expect from this next doctor's appointment.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I've heard of this happening from a vitamin defiency, I don't remember which one but I think it was either K, D, or E
    Anonymous

• According to the book: Prescription for Nutritional Healing.....

Bruising can be caused by Anemia, overweight, malnutrition, leukemia, and excessive use of anti-clotting drugs. It is also an early warning sign of cancer.

Recommendations: Diet should include an abundance of dark green leafy vegetables, buckwheat, and fresh fruits. These foods are high in vitamin C and bioflavonoids, which help to prevent bruising. Studies show that those with a vitamin C deficiency bruise more easily than others because their blood vessels are generally weaker.

If bruising is frequent, see your doctor.

Hope this helps.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:47 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• There's a few things it could be. Some are more serious than others. I am not going to name anything in particular. I would speak with your doctor about getting her seen as soon as possible to rule out life-threatening illnesses however. Good luck and God bless you!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:04 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• The hematologist will run blood tests and be able to analyse them best. It is good that they gave you a referal. Depending on what it is it could just require diet modification or medication but it all depends on the cause.
    I hope that they are running the tests sooner, rather than later. Like Monday.
    Good luck.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 5:16 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Thank you all for your responses...she's had blood work done twice through her regular pediatrician and they weren't able to find anything except that perhaps one of the things they tested for the test was slightly elevated this is why they are sending her to the specialist, and next week is the soonest they were able to get her in...with any luck it will just be something minor...again i thank you all for your answers.
    Anonymous