Should rich kids be able to get scholarships?

FROM THE ARTICLE: "Over the weekend CNN broke news that Justin Combs scored a merit-based $54,000 scholarship from UCLA. The son of Sean “P. Diddy” Combs was a talented high school football star and studied like crazy, finishing school with a 3.75 GPA. Now one of California’s best colleges is rewarding him with a spot on its football team and a sweet sum of money. Some are saying this ultra-wealthy family should refuse the scholarship money from a state institution. Diddy is worth $550 million and he soared at the top of Forbes recent top-five list of wealthiest hip-hop artists. To him, $54,000 is chump change. After all, Diddy did buy Justin a $360,000 Maybach for his 16th birthday a few years ago."

http://blog.sfgate.com/sfmoms/2012/05/30/should-kids-from-ultra-wealthy-families-get-college-scholarships/

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 11:23 AM on May. 31, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, if they earn it, it's theirs. It would be a nice gesture considering that his dad has more than enough money, but I don't think there should be a "cut off" point - like if your parents make more than 250K/year then you can't get a scholarship.

Answer by missanc at 11:29 AM on May. 31, 2012

• Absolutely, he earned it.
    Tesserae

Answer by Tesserae at 11:24 AM on May. 31, 2012

• Of course! Daddy's money does not belong to the child. The child earned the scholarship, the scholarship ought to belong to the child.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 11:33 AM on May. 31, 2012

• In this case, he earned it. This scholarship was awarded based on merit. It's not gov't money to help needy children, it's a scholarship based on merit. Just because his daddy has money doesn't mean that he is immediately obligated to pay his kids way through college. You just can't say to a kid "I'm sorry, your parents make too much money for you to get a scholarship based on all of your hard work. I think it's a darn shame that this is being debated in the media like it is. The kid has done nothing wrong, has in fact done all the right things and instead of people saying "good job" they are saying "you don't deserve it because your daddy is rich".
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:39 AM on May. 31, 2012

• Yes. This kid worked his butt off. He's a very intelligent kid. Why not? When it comes to education, I believe, we all have the same opportunities.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:25 AM on May. 31, 2012

• It would have been nice if the very wealthy father would have donated back to the school to be given to someone who needs the financial assistance.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:29 AM on May. 31, 2012

• If it is a merit based scholarship, then absolutely yes! We don't need to teach rich kids to live off their parents and that they don't deserve to be rewarded the same as anyone else when they are successful based on their own actions. Most scholarships have a qualifier of financial need. Sure it would be nice if P Diddy or whatever his name is these days did donate that, however, it should be his SON's choice as the person who earned the scholarship.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:43 AM on May. 31, 2012

• He definitely earned it but his dad should be paying his way through college, full stop. He should definitely donate it.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 11:25 AM on May. 31, 2012

• He earned it on merit,, and some parents who have money still refuse to pay for their kid's college. I think in PDiddy's case it would have been a very nice gesture to donate the scholarship to someone else. I think that being uber-rich should come with being gracious as well. But if he earned it on MERIT,, it is his right to keep it,, but a bit tasteless if you ask me.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:27 AM on May. 31, 2012

• Let me clarify by saying that I accept the scholarship I was awarded DID include a financial component. I don't take issue with the fact that I was not given a cent from it even though I could have used it. ;) I did earn other merit based scholarships in which my financial status (or my parents) was never asked. I earned them and I was given them.

If this award Justin Combs earned was purely merit based, his father's wealth should NOT be considered.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:43 AM on May. 31, 2012