Should rich kids be able to get scholarships?

FROM THE ARTICLE: "Over the weekend CNN broke news that Justin Combs scored a merit-based $54,000 scholarship from UCLA. The son of Sean “P. Diddy” Combs was a talented high school football star and studied like crazy, finishing school with a 3.75 GPA. Now one of California’s best colleges is rewarding him with a spot on its football team and a sweet sum of money. Some are saying this ultra-wealthy family should refuse the scholarship money from a state institution. Diddy is worth $550 million and he soared at the top of Forbes recent top-five list of wealthiest hip-hop artists. To him, $54,000 is chump change. After all, Diddy did buy Justin a $360,000 Maybach for his 16th birthday a few years ago."

http://blog.sfgate.com/sfmoms/2012/05/30/should-kids-from-ultra-wealthy-families-get-college-scholarships/

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 11:23 AM on May. 31, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, if they earn it, it's theirs. It would be a nice gesture considering that his dad has more than enough money, but I don't think there should be a "cut off" point - like if your parents make more than 250K/year then you can't get a scholarship.

Answer by missanc at 11:29 AM on May. 31, 2012

• Absolutely, he earned it.
    Tesserae

Answer by Tesserae at 11:24 AM on May. 31, 2012

• Well, while he did earn it, I agree that it should be donated or awarded to the 2nd place student who probably can't afford it.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:25 AM on May. 31, 2012

• Yes. This kid worked his butt off. He's a very intelligent kid. Why not? When it comes to education, I believe, we all have the same opportunities.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:25 AM on May. 31, 2012

• He definitely earned it but his dad should be paying his way through college, full stop. He should definitely donate it.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 11:25 AM on May. 31, 2012

• He earned it on merit,, and some parents who have money still refuse to pay for their kid's college. I think in PDiddy's case it would have been a very nice gesture to donate the scholarship to someone else. I think that being uber-rich should come with being gracious as well. But if he earned it on MERIT,, it is his right to keep it,, but a bit tasteless if you ask me.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:27 AM on May. 31, 2012

• I'm on the fence with this one. But its a football scholorship. He earned every dime.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:28 AM on May. 31, 2012

• Of course. He worked hard and earned it so why not? I do think that if I were him or P Diddy I would donate it, though.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 11:28 AM on May. 31, 2012

• It would have been nice if the very wealthy father would have donated back to the school to be given to someone who needs the financial assistance.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:29 AM on May. 31, 2012

• ^^^ Maybe the cut off should be if your parents are millionaires w/ more $$ than they could possibly spend in a life time. I think it would be a great gesture to dontate it. Besides, what if the decision to award it to him was based on who his father is, & the University may be thinking of large donations coming their way down the road?
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:31 AM on May. 31, 2012