How old is to old to spank a child?

Yes, I spank! This question isnt about debate, its about an answer. Thank~you =)

Asked by TheLostMuppet at 5:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in General Parenting

• I never spank my children, hands are for hugging ,NOT hitting, punish them another way.sit them on the couch, or take something away.

Answer by mammasbabies at 5:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I would say that if the child is old enough to really understand consequences then spanking them isn't going to be very effective.

I don't have one that old, so I don't have experience with it, but I can remember being spanked at about the age of 11 and thinking, okay, that's over, now let's move on. Had my parents chosen to take something really important away from me instead, I would probably have paid much more attention.

Answer by kaseysmommy1003 at 5:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• The last time I was spanked was when I was 12. I think beyond that is a little old... 12 might even be too old. The firt answer is a little rude, you can punish your kids however you want, to each is their own right?

Answer by bethany_smith at 5:57 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Yes, I agree with spanking too...we have not done it often, but it has been effective...Our children are often commented on for their excellent behavior.

• my son is 7 and although i have only had to spank him a handful of times in his entire life, he still knows it is a possibility for a serious fact, one of the 10 times or so that ive ever spanked him was about 6 months ago for repeatedly lying and talking back to me...he'll get it when hes 17 if he needs it!

Answer by LoriaAnn at 8:37 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I think adolescent age is old enough to stop spanking unless they are mature enough at a younger age to understand and appreciate other forms of discipline. I chose spanking as the last resort. I spanked one but not my other two. I could talk to them and resolve the problem. She was just not one to listen. Spanking was the only thing that was effective and I hated doing it but I did it.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:55 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I think it depends on the child, but I would say by the time they are 10 years old, you should no longer be spanking.

Answer by Bethsunshine at 10:38 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I think twelve or thirteen !!!!!!

Answer by oldstylemom at 11:52 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I am a bleiver one is never too old while still living at home. i was spanked until 20

Answer by Emmayoung at 12:11 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• mammasbabies...that doesnt always work. NOT ALL KIDS ARE THE SAME.

Answer by CorbinsMomma at 6:33 PM on Sep. 25, 2008