my son wants to dress like me

does any other mom have this issue? my son wants to wear stockings heels skirts?
let me know thanks
gina

ginaskids23

Asked by ginaskids23 at 4:49 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My boys didnt do that but a friend of mines did. She explained to him that although she knew he wanted to be like her because he loved her and it was ok to look up to her he was a boy. Boys dress different and dont wear girl clothes, they wear boy clothes. She also told him vaguely the diff between boys and girls. Girls are mommys, boys are daddys, girls have long hair, most boys have short hair etc etc.

Answer by gemgem at 4:51 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• It depends...it could be he is just wanting to mimick your behavior and play dress up...which is perfectly fine.

However, it could be that he truly feels like he IS a girl. It really depends on the situation, and since I'm not there to observe, I can't say much more.

Regardless...just love him and allow him to express himself. The strict and rigid views of gender and gender identity are antiquated.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 5:25 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• It's common. Remember, he doesn't know that it isn't "gender appropriate". All he knows is it's interesting and an adult in his life does it. Many, many little boys play dress up and stop doing it when faced with peer-pressure, as they learn what is and isn't allowed to little boys.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:13 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Get him some mens clothes to dress up in. Go do the Goodwill and get him Daddy hats and some ties and shoes.
    Anonymous

• It is totally normal for a child to emulate his parent...mom or dad. I would not make a huge deal out of it at this age. I feel the more you freak the more he will become curious as you make it taboo. I think this will go away on its own. My bffs son wore his sisters tinkerbell costume for an entire summer when he was three. We would wait until he was asleep for nap and peel it off just to wash it. He is one of the biggest jocks I know. Not to worry mamma.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:58 PM on Jan. 29, 2009