add/adhd?

Help me. I am a young mother. My oldest child (my son) is begining his first evaluations for add/adhd. I am pretty sure he has it. I need help. I am having a very hard time dealing with him and his behavior and his non listening. He is having problems at school and at home. It is making very stressful around our house. I want him to know we love him but I feel as if my patience is so paper thin that it is becoming very hard to deal with him, I find myself getting aggrevated and feeling like i would like to just rip my hair out. I am pregnant with my third child and very stressed out. I feel like crying all the time and I feel like a horrible mother. I dont know how to deal with it anymore. The noise making, the back talking, the inability to listen to me, the behavior problems, the school telling me he is academically behind, the lack of support with my other family members, its just soooooo much. please help me

lennonlennon

Asked by lennonlennon at 6:03 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• First off take a deep breath. Dont worry about your family members or friends not understanding they arent in your shoes and they dont know your son like you do. Get the eval done and then ask for a referral to a counselor that specializes in children with adhd. They will help your son with different coping methods, teach him to control himself and offer you support and coping methods as well. Do what the doctor says and remember medication isnt bad or wrong or a failure on your part. ADHD is a genetic disorder and medication helps your son. Now the first med doesnt always work. If it doesnt dont be afraid to call his dr and tell them. Its common. Research different drugs, vitamins etc and see what helps. Youre a good mom just in a stressing situation but it is managable.

Answer by gemgem at 6:28 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• You need to request RAST testing for food sensitivities. They need to check for IGG & IGE antibodies. This should be a required first step in diagnosing.
    In the meantime, remove ALL artificial colors & flavors, high fructose corn syrup and excess sugars from his diet. Is he sleeping well at night? Feel free to pm me. I've posted my stories in my journals.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:36 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Routine, follow through, and warnings. Try to keep not a strict schedule, but a predictable routine, follow through on any threats or promises and warn him when he is going to have to transition from one activity to another, like set a timer 10 minutes before diner, bathtime, bedtime etc... And breathe and don't be afraid to say "mommy needs a break" and walk away for a minute or two. Also this sounds crazy but does work a small amount of caffeine helps children with mild ADHD when they are being overactive and unable to pay attention when I heard it I thought the person was nuts, when I tried it I thanked him the next time I saw him.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 6:36 PM on Jan. 29, 2009