If you do not believe in God or praying....

Does it annoy or offend you if someone says (like if you are having a problem of some sort) Ill pray for you or I have been praying for you?

LoViNmYbAbIeSs

Asked by LoViNmYbAbIeSs at 10:56 AM on Jun. 1, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• What it ultimately means to me is that someone has taken time from their busy life to focus on a problem I'M having. It's not so much the prayer (which isn't a part of my path) but the conscious effort to think about me
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 11:10 AM on Jun. 1, 2012

• Only from those who use it in a condescending way,or don't even know me

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:00 AM on Jun. 1, 2012

• Positive energy is positive energy, no matter what religion it comes from.

The only time I feel insulted is when it is said in a condescending and rude manner, such as the a family member recently said it ...."I will pray for her especially since she is a proclaimed Pagan Witch and truly believes in witchcraft She lives in darkness and sadness because she is so bitter and harbors lots a hatred. Please Pray for her so she may have light come into her household and into her heart."

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:42 AM on Jun. 1, 2012

• No not at all. Now it does offend a little when I say I am an atheist and they say they'll pray for my eternal soul. Or when they say I'll pray you find God. But even then the most they get is an eyeroll. I'm a pretty hard person to offend. But praying me or my family gets well soon, thank you. I do enjoy well wishes.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:10 AM on Jun. 1, 2012

• I can't say that it offends me. Sometimes, it's clear that offence is the intent, but the way I look at it, prayer is at best calming, at worst, a waste of time, but it's not my time being wasted so it doesn't affect me. Prayer is nothing more than wishing, and if the person is wishing that I see things her way, it has no more affect than if I were to spend my time wishing she'd see things my way. Ultimately, I'm not hurt (or helped) by her prayers, so I can't be offended.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:04 AM on Jun. 1, 2012

>>>
    What a thoughtful way of putting it
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 11:14 AM on Jun. 1, 2012

• No, not at all. I understand that it comes from a place of caring.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 11:16 AM on Jun. 1, 2012

• Depends on the context. Usually I see it the same as well wishes, so no it is not offensive
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:41 AM on Jun. 1, 2012

• Nope, not at all.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 11:02 AM on Jun. 1, 2012

• Only if they are trying to insult me.. other then that no
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 11:09 AM on Jun. 1, 2012