What do you tip when you get your hair done?

I am never very sure! I'm going for a hair appointment hopefully next week, and figured I would ask in advance. My haircuts are not cheap - about $70 for a cut and $50 for the highlights (maybe more, she discounted me last time). If I'm paying that much for a really great haircut, I have a hard time giving a good tip - I'm super cheap and my hair is one of VERY few things I'll splurge on... EVER.

What is "right" to tip a hairdresser? What do you ladies usually tip?

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 12:03 PM on Jun. 1, 2012 in Beauty & Style

• I have a hard time with this also. My hair cuts are $50 and when I do a cut and color it's $100. They also have someone else to wash the hair. I give that person $2 and my hair cutter 10%.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 12:08 PM on Jun. 1, 2012

• 20%..if i really like their work, and i'm a regular client, more.
    you can't be that cheap if you're paying $70 for a hc alone.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:07 PM on Jun. 1, 2012

• I love my hairdresser so he get a good tip from me. Usually $25 for a cut and touch up. He always fits me in because of my travel schedule, he will stay late or come in early for me.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 12:14 PM on Jun. 1, 2012

• He always fits me in because of my travel schedule, he will stay late or come in early for me. --

that's because you tip well. you scratch my back, i'll scratch yours...it was always a pleasure to lasso the moon for clients like you.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:22 PM on Jun. 1, 2012

• I always tip 20%
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 1:03 PM on Jun. 1, 2012

• Good question.... I do $5 for a cut, and $10 for a perm .... not sure if that's OK or not though. But, I only go twice a year right now b/c money is tight!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:11 PM on Jun. 1, 2012

• A hi five.. i do my own hair
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 1:33 PM on Jun. 1, 2012

• 15 to 20 percent.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:35 PM on Jun. 1, 2012

• I always tip 20%. I found my current stylist through Lifebooker, a discount site, so I tip on what the full price should be instead of the discounted rate.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 8:23 PM on Jun. 1, 2012

• My hair cut cost 10.00 just for a trim and I give her a 10.00 tip because i know her, she does a great job and she comes to my house to cut my hair.

LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 10:20 PM on Jun. 1, 2012