What is the status on breast feeding and drinking alcohol? i would like to know facts.

princessaeria1

Asked by princessaeria1 at 6:15 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This website has great factual information on anything concerning your BM. Check it out.
    http://www.kellymom.com/
    kirstanbrown

Answer by kirstanbrown at 6:16 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• it's bad. don't even risk it. You wouldn't give it to your 2 yr old with his milk in a sippy cup, it's the same thing as nursing after drinking.
    Anonymous

• ANYTHING going into your body will be fed to your baby thru your breast milk.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 6:17 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Drinking and breastfeeding is never a good combination. You will have to pump your milk before feeding the baby after drinking. Its best to just avoid it.

Answer by gemgem at 6:23 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• thanks i appreciate it.
    princessaeria1

Answer by princessaeria1 at 6:28 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• OMG. People are so melodramatic LOL. Ok you need to look at the info at kellymom.com and from the Le Leche League online.

You can safely breastfeed and drink, and there is NOTHING wrong with it. Alcohol leaves your breast milk at the same rate it leaves your body... and only a small percentage actually passes into your breast milk.

If you do decide to drink, the rule is "safe to drive safe to nurse". I always made it 1 hour per drink. If I had a glass of wine or two, it was done immediately after my DD nursed so I knew I had a couple hours or more of a window.

Pumping and dumping is INEFFECTIVE. As long as the alcohol is in your system, it's in your milk, no matter how many times you pump and waste that liquid gold.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:36 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• CELTICREVERIE lol thank you very much.. people do seem upset and melodramatic about it. my daughter is a month and two days old and i just wanted one night to drink and have a little enjoyment, i read kellymom and found it answers my question perfectly lol thank you for your insight. so if sober to drive sober to nurse does that mean like if a mother actually got drunk and then wakes up sober that they can breast feed?
    princessaeria1

Answer by princessaeria1 at 6:45 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• lol if i decide to drink i will have my aunt take the baby for the night. i so greatly appreciate it. thanks. i definitely needed to hear that. lol i am going to try to have a good fun night to myself now. and enjoy it a hundred percent i will pump a bottle and have some formula take her to my aunts and come home and have some fun. lol i breast feed mostly but formula feed when she is being babysat or were out for the day.
    princessaeria1

Answer by princessaeria1 at 7:01 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Oh gee. both my pediatrician and my BIL who's a doctor told me to stay away from kellymom.com because even though there is a lot of truth in what's on the site there is also a LOT of myth. They both deal with women every day who or mislead by that site and putting their children in danger.

Why even drink when you're nursing. It sounds a little selfish to me, can't you give it up for the sake of your child instead of thinking of only yourself?

like the other anon said, it's like putting some alcohol into your 2 yr olds sippy cup. and like the diva said: ANYTHING going into your body will be fed to your baby thru your breast milk. and I KNOW you cannot deny that.
    Anonymous