is there anything i can do to increase my breastmilk supply

when my milk first came in there was tons and now i hardly produce enough to keep my baby satisfied and im having to subsitute formula when she is done breastfeeding. i want to be only on the breast what can i do?

ashley_krystina

Asked by ashley_krystina at 6:24 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• pump, pump, pump...by hand or machine. Keep those puppies stimulated, eat well, and drink lots of water.
    kirstanbrown

Answer by kirstanbrown at 6:26 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• what makes you think you are not producing enough? your boobs wont fill up as milk production levels out.

If she's gaining weight, even a little, and is wetting enough diapers then she's getting enough.. Substituting formula is only making things worse if there are supply issues.

Nurse on demand 1 breast per feeding to insure she get's all the good hind milk. Pump after the feeding on the other breast if you want to or pump during a feeding!

Drink plenty of water and eat healthy. Oatmeal, Mother's Milk Tea and fenugreek all help increase milk supply.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:32 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Blessed Thistle, and Fenugreek,is what my neice is taking,works like a charm. Her Lataction nurse told her this.I got it for her at a health food store. Good Luck
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 6:42 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I have heard that many mothers use Fenugreek and it is very effective. What the safety implications are, I am not sure.
    kirstanbrown

Answer by kirstanbrown at 6:45 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Why do you think you are not making enough? The answer to this is key here. Formula supplementation can be detrimental to supply too.

Basically, if you nurse on demand, for as long as the baby wants, and don't supplement, your body should produce enough.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:49 PM on Jan. 29, 2009