Pump & Dump...

There seems to be a lot of women who think that if you drink while you're breastfeeding, that you need to pump and dump in order to rid your milk of the alcohol. I'm just wondering where you're getting this information?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:45 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have no idea. Pumping and Dumping is ineffective. The only thing I can think is these women never bothered to talk to professionals or know how alcohol enters and leaves milk lol.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:47 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Many women do it just to be safe, no harm in it. Plus most women are skipping a feeding if they are having some drinks, so they pump to keep up their supply.
    AM78

Answer by AM78 at 6:47 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Who cares if someone else wants to pump and dump? People really need hobbies around here.
    Anonymous

• I pumped and dumped because if I didn't then my boobs hurt like hell and I swear they would explode...
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:11 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• she's not asking about easing pain, specifically the belief that pumping and dumping somehow magically removes alcohol from your breastmilk lol.. when engorged, yet drunk, the best thing to do is pump and dump.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:28 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I highly doubt anyone thinks that pumping magically removes alcohol from the milk. I think that women 1.) pump to relieve the pain 2.)keep up the supply 3.) Some may pump even after they are sober just to pump to remove any lingering alcohol that they are afraid may still be there. I really don't see what the big deal is if women want to be extra cautious. Not careful . . . someone has a problem with it. Super careful . . . someone has a problem with it.
    AM78

Answer by AM78 at 7:41 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• It's just misinformation that has been passed down for years and years. And anon, we care, because it is a pointless procedure, and we'd hate to see moms make more work for themselves, and waste milk. Forgive us for trying to be helpful.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:42 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• am78.. yes women do. I have seen this information given time and time again "just pump and dump" before feeding and after drinking. Which is false. That is what the OP is asking. that you need to pump and dump in order to rid your milk of the alcohol. 

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:51 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• OP Here.....celticreverie is correct...women really do think that it is necessary in order to rid their milk of alcohol...I see people give that advice ALL the time on here! Obviously, if you're going to go 4 or 5 hours without a feeding, you need to pump to maintain supply and/or relieve pain. I am just wondering why it is so commonly believed that there is a NEED to pump and dump, and that if you do so, you're okay to nurse after drinking.

I just don't see why anybody would want to waste precious milk. If you're going to miss a feeding, and you give the alcohol time to work out of your system, think of all the milk you'll be able to pump, and save!
    Anonymous