I feel like a horrible mom. My son's shoulders are very badly sunburnt.

Last Friday was my son's last day of school. He will be going to summer day camp while I work but it doesn't start until next week. I had to work Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday this week. I asked my sister if she could watch him on Tuesday and Wednesday. Even though my sister is 26, her mental age would be more like a 16 or 17 year old. I explained everything in detail and left notes. I figured since he is almost 8, it really should be too hard for her to watch him. She took him to the pool on the first day and he was a little sun burnt so I reminded her that if she takes him to the pool on Wednesday she needs to use the correct sunscreen (she used the sunscreen with bug spray that was for if they go to the park) and she would need to reapply it if they stay out there longer than an hour. Anyways, when I got home Wednesday, he had blisters on his hands and toes and his shoulders were badly burned. I put some aloe vera on them. Today, I looked at it and while the redness is going away, it looks like there is a scab  and it's oozing clear liquid in one spot. Is there anything else that I can put on it to help it heal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Jun. 2, 2012 in Kids' Health

• Keep the aloe on it and it'll heal up. Since they blister, you'll also want to keep the site clean and dry.

Don't be too hard on yourself. It happens. Back in the olden days we got bad sunburns at least once a summer. We lived to tell the tale :)
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 12:48 AM on Jun. 2, 2012

• vinegar will take away the sting

my sun has had blistered sunburns- he just wears t-shirts now because he doesnt like messing with sunscreen

no biggie
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:25 AM on Jun. 2, 2012

• There is something wrong with her but she uses it as an excuse for everything. I have seen people with down syndrome function better than she does. The only reason that I even let her babysit was because the past few months she has seemed to show a little more responsibility. There were a few other things that she did/didn't do that I am pissed about as well.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:54 AM on Jun. 2, 2012

• Thank you, ladies! I will try those suggestions.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:55 AM on Jun. 2, 2012

• I would call the Pediatrician today. He has sun poisoning & he is open to major infection. I got bad sunburns as a kid & as a result I have had skin Cancer including having half my lower eyelid recently removed & reconstructed as a result of sun exposure. YOU NEED to put the sunblock on him BEFORE he leaves the house.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:46 AM on Jun. 2, 2012

• We keep our Aloe in the fridge & mix it w/ a little lotion when we put it on the sunburned areas. I've never had to deal w/ a burn as severe as your son's tho. So maybe skip the lotion due the fragrances that could irritate the skin & instead use a topical ointment. Since it's the weekend, call your pharmacy to see what they recommend. In the future, have him apply it before leaving & then reapply every hour, whether he's swimming or not. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:25 PM on Jun. 2, 2012

• BTW- don't wanna start a war here, but having an adult son w/ dev. delays, I know what his limitations & his strengths are & if your expectations of your sister are realistic, then mishaps are less likely to happen again. Don't know what her disability is, but I doubt she uses it as an excuse. It's reality for her.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:28 PM on Jun. 2, 2012

• When i was a child we lived in Southern CA minutes from the beach. We spent hours a day there several times a week. We are all very fair skinned and we regularly got sunburned. In the late 50's and 60's I don't think there was sunscreen and if there was we would have never been able to afford it. Like Brawnwyn said..we lived to tell the tales.
    Hope your LO gets better soon.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:38 PM on Jun. 2, 2012

• Do NOT use any hand lotions on sunburn, it will make the burn worse. Stick with Aloe, Noxzema, or Aquaphor. I would also take him to the doctor if it blistered and is oozing any liquid. Better safe than sorry.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:50 PM on Jun. 4, 2012