I have a 6 year old in kindergarten, we have just changed schools

he's been there around 1 month. it was a hard transition but he seemed to have settled down but for the last 2 days we are now hearing that he is not paying attention, all over the room, not listening....and i'm wondering how i should respond? we are stopping the t.v. it seems to be the one thing that really gets his attention. also thought it'd be good if he's having trouble paying attention. he is a smart boy and does his homework really well when he comes home but i know he misses his friends from the old school, don't know if that's something to do with it. ARgggghhhh it is so hard to figure out how to best handle the misbehavior. I feel it is completely unacceptable to not mind the teacher, though i know it's hard he needs to listen. help.

Vickalini

Asked by Vickalini at 7:18 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I went through the exact same thing! All you can do is explain to him that if his behavior doesnt change he wont get to go on to the next grade with all his friends. Kind of put it into th perspective that he has to choose to do the right thing while he is at school and dont make too big of a deal about it. I also found that talking to ds about school helped. Shoot just paying alot of extra attention to him made a difference. Does he (my ds) deserve to be pampered for bad behavior probably not. But the harder i was on him about it the more he rebeled. Normally Im a spare the rod girl but sometimes you just have to spoil them a little and show them its ok to have feelings and the right way to express them is not through bad behavior at school. Hope this helps
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 9:36 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• It sounds as if this behavior wasn't typical of him before the move. He probably is still having a difficult time with the transition. I don't know if this would help or not, but maybe you could invite a boy from his class to come to your house for a playdate. If your son doesn't mention anyone in particular, you could ask the teacher if there is anyone that he seems to have bonded more with. Maybe if he can develop a new friendship with someone that it will help things. This will just be a way for him to get to know another child better. You could then try this with other boys as well. Good luck.
    soccermom0002

Answer by soccermom0002 at 9:38 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Or he may be bored in class! If a child is bored they will act out. I would ask him what is going on with a lot of little questions and see what he says. If he tells you something, elaborate on it. You may find out that he is not being challenged enough in class.I am not saying this is what it is, but when a child is bored in K they will act out.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 11:33 AM on Jan. 31, 2009