how can i help him sleep?

so my LO is sick...just a cold but he will NOT sleep at night! it takes an hour or so of hardcore screaming (sounding like he jsut got shots) before he wil go to sleep. normally he is a wonderful sleeper, goes to bed for about 9-10 hours a night but since he doesnt feel good he is not sleeping. how can i make him feel better and help him to get to sleep at night? im losing my mind, and on saturday he is supposed to be sleeping at his grandmas and i dont wanna send him if hes acting like this at bed time, i wanna have a remedy incase he has trouble going to sleep or else im just going to keep him at home if he doesnt sleep tonight or tomorrow cause i dont want grandma to have to stay up all night!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:20 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My little girl is sick too...a few ideas:
    1. Mattress on an angle...put a couple of pillows under one side of the crib mattress. If he sleeps on an angle, it might help his sinuses drain. Easier breathing is easier sleeping.
    2. Pedia Care makes a Gentle Vapors plug in with non medicated vapors that fills the room and helps open their sinuses for easier breathing.
    3. Johnson & Johnson Vapor bath...same idea as above, only in a soap form for the bathtub. It helps if you steam up the bathroom before bed as well.
    4. If he is over 6 mo, then a dose of motrin or baby advil. It will help with aches and pains & even sinus issues more so than tylenol because it has an anti inflammatory in it.
    5. As a last resort - as your doctor about benadryl. My doctor said I could give my daughter 1/4 teaspoon if I really needed to. It seems to help dry out her nose.

Good Luck
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 8:04 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• he is 7mos and 18lbs 4 oz....how much motrin could he have? i can have my hubby grab it after work
    Anonymous

• well, if hes having trouble breathing you could try putting a humidifier in his room. ummmm. what else? im trying to think here!!! oh, when my son -- 7 months old -- is fussy and needs rest, sometimes he will sleep better for me in his swing than in his crib. do you have a swing? ours is motorized and swings back and fourth, i think he likes the rocking motion. anyway, i know some parents are not too keen are medicating their kids at a young age, but you could try a small dose of infants tylenol or motrin. he might be upset because hes teething, or close to it. these meds will releive that. if you dont want to give him that, but youre pretty sure its his teeth, theres always baby oragel. and.....if you dont want to give him that, there is a homeopathic (all natual) remedy teething gel by a brand called "hylands" good luck!!!
    Anonymous