Red Raspberry leaf tea?

Anyone drinking this during their pregnancy?? My midwife suggested it, and I've been putting it off, because I heard it could stimulate contractions.
However, she told me today yes, it can cause contractions in those not having them, but for those who have BH contractions, it could slow them.
Has the tea slowed anyones?? I get them all day, she said I have an irritable uterus. I'd rather not drink it and find that I get more. :/ But I am 27 weeks tomorrow. I might give it a try tomorrow. If it doesn't work well, I'll just do it the last few weeks in pregnancy. I just wanted to know if there was any truth to what she said.

mrseum

Asked by mrseum at 7:31 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Rasberry leaf tea will not cause contractions, or induce labor. Raspberry leaf tea strengthens uterine muscles as well as pelvic muscles. It might stimulate the uterus but not enough to cause concern.

I have been drinking the pregnancy tea, since the end of my first trimester. It has red raspberry leaf in it. I also will start drinking red raspberry leaf starting around 28 weeks to help strengthen those muscles. It can help make labor easier. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:36 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• All it does is stregthen and tone the uterus. It's perfectly safe. It does not stimulate contractions. It also doesn't slow them according to anything I've ever seen. Drink up!
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 7:37 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Huh, I was told by my OBGYN to drink raspberry leaf tea TO induce labor. It was 4 days before my EDD and we discover my DD was abnormally small, leading the Dr to wonder if the placenta was still working. Couldn't get a true ultrasound for 5 days, and was not showing any signs of labor (no effacement, no dialation) so he told me to do what I could to induce labor. Walking, sex, warm baths, drink the raspberry leaf tea. I bought some raspberry leaf tea that night (wed). Had one cup that night, & two cups the next day. Friday I woke up at 2:30 in the AM in labor.
    Anonymous

• Well an OB is not an herbalist... lol. It doesn't induce, gah!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:16 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Anon,
    I would assume that it was because you were so close to your due date, really.
    Most things I've read said it does not induce, just tones. I'm sure my midwife would not have suggested it, assuming that she (and her partner) would have known that it would induce.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 8:56 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I drank it through my pregnancy. It does help strengthen and tone the uterus. It can help encourage contractions if you're ready to go into labor, but it won't INDUCE labor. I haven't heard anything about it calming BH contractions. I say try it, and give it a few days. If it doesn't work, no harm done.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:27 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• It is more likely to *slow* contractions because it will hydrate you.
    As a uterine toner, nice!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:31 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• where i can by it ? :)
    krisgoy

Answer by krisgoy at 8:37 PM on Nov. 18, 2009