Are your kids doing this? (help! tmi)

Hank will be 2 on Feb 27 and for the past few months he has became captivated with one thing that is sooooooooo GROSS! He puts his hand in his diaper when he's either just done or doing a poopie and plays with it. I have cleaned and disinfected his tv, toys crib etc. He gets in trouble immediately after he does it and gets cleaned up... Its like before I even find out he's got a poopie diaper he's playing it in!

Are any of yalls kids doing this? What should I do?

Please no one bash me for this... I am watching my son but I can't leep both eyes on him ALL the time!

hanksmom0207

Asked by hanksmom0207 at 7:56 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my neice did this a few times and one time she rubbed it all over the walls and stuff... but her mom is neglectful, i had to go in there and clean it cause she was so grossed out she wouldnt clean it!! anyway, i dont know how normal it is, but i know of one baby who has done it! lol

i would just say keep pants and a onesie on him.... that way he cant get into his diaper..
    wisteriastars

Answer by wisteriastars at 7:59 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I think it's a phase, albeit a disgusting one. Maybe he's just now realizing he poops and pees there and finds it fascinating. My daughter doesn't play with her poopy diapers, but she does try and wipe herself... which gets messy too. I don't think punishment will help, maybe explain that we don't play with that, etc... or start taking him to the potty and putting the poop in the potty letting him know that this is where it belongs.. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:00 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• He is liking the texture. Try keeping him busy with playdoh or something else.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 8:02 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I have NO idea! My daugter does this too. I'm pretty sure hers is sensory. She will wipe and smear it all over the place and then needless to say its ALOT of cleaning, Bathing and disifecting. It SUCKS!!! I keep her in one piece zipup jammies whenever I think that she may be pooping anytime in the near future. This way she can't get to it. I just hope that this phase is going to be over SOON! Goodluck Momma!
    JennCase25

Answer by JennCase25 at 8:03 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• how funny your son is exactly 1day younger then mine lol anyways my DS does it all the time its gross i know but its the texture they are interested in i suggest PLAY DOH its the same consistancy and its less gross..lol good luck
    connorsmom22607

Answer by connorsmom22607 at 8:06 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• My daughter has not done it..... I hope she dosen't either! It is kind of gross. But on the other hand I do know children that do it. I am a Director of a preschool and what i tell the children is to go wash their hand and not to do it beacuse they will get gross bugs in thier belly if some gets in there mouth and most of them stop that way! Sorry your are having to deal with that!
    sagesmommy327

Answer by sagesmommy327 at 8:09 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Maybe its time to start potty training! My daughter never does this, but i say maybe he wants it out of his diaper because he doesnt like it...
    Anonymous

• My oldest son did this and it was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo nasty i was constantly cleaning things off where he had stuck his hand down his diaper and made a mess!! I was watching Dr Phil one day and he had a show on this and he said that this can be a sign of someone who has potential to be a serial killer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was like OMG!!!!! but iv heard alot of moms who have grown normal kids say they too did that when they were young!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 8:22 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Not trying to be funny.. he needs to be potty trained. He should not be wearign a diaper at 2. He is very aware of it back there. That is a potty training sign. The other sign is when he takes if off with poop in it. He doesn't want it on him. He is not to young to potty mom.
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 8:48 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• My youngest son has done this a few times. And when I change the diaper he reaches down to touch him butt. What I have done, and is working great, is during the diaper change, I tell him NO and move his hand away, and when he is all clean I show him his diaper and say "Eww, yucky" and he has not done it since.
    ItalianMomma04

Answer by ItalianMomma04 at 9:09 PM on Jan. 29, 2009