Going to bed without a drink

How can I get my 2 1/2 year old to go to bed without a drink? She always wants a drink at supper, one right after supper and 2 right before bed. I have cut her back so she gets one at supper and one between supper and bed and a small one before bed but she throws a fit because she wants a cup at bed. How can I break her of that?

agrafel

Asked by agrafel at 8:07 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just take it away! She will get use to it!
    Anonymous

• Why take it away? Do you ever wake up in the night and get a sip of water? I do. I know that limiting fluids is a way to help stop night time bedwetting. So is waiting until they are older.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:28 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Does she wet the bed? If so, don't let her dring anything after 6pm. If that is not the problem and you simply don't want her to have it. As the first person said, just don't let her have it period.
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 8:32 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• What is the actual problem here? Why do you not want her to have the drink? Is she wetting the bed? What is the drink? If it's anything other than water, you should change that ASAP. I see nothing wrong with letting her have a cup of water, people get thirsty at night, as long as she doesn't have bed wetting issues.

Four drinks between supper and bedtime sound like a lot. She could have a health problem. You may want to contact your pediatrician.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 8:37 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I dont like her having a sippy cup at night because she refuses to use the ones with the hard tops. I have tried changing her cups but she wont take them. She has to have the soft tops. I recently bought a soft tipped sippy cup for her baby sister and she took it away from her sister and has claimed that as her cup because she used to have one like it. But with the soft tipped sippy cups she likes to bite at them and I'm just afraid that she will bite if off and choke on it in the night or else it spills all over her bed so i have to change her bedding at 2am. We are trying to potty train her too and it doesnt help any when she potties several times at night because she is always drinking at bedtime.
    agrafel

Answer by agrafel at 8:41 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• My son always wants a drink too. But I just let him take a sippy cup to bed with him incase he wants a drink in the night, which he usually does. So it saves me from getting woke up in the night just so he can get a drink.
    JmgBlair

Answer by JmgBlair at 9:31 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• My 2 year old has the same issue, its a new habit acctually, I think she chews on the rubber part of the sippy because her molars are coming in and it feels good. Are your daughters molars coming in maybe? A little water in a sippy at night really dosent hurt anything, they all grow up eventually and they wont always be taking a sippy to bed, my husband acctually told me that when I was all worried about her having a drink in bed, Good luck :)
    jokermom

Answer by jokermom at 11:00 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I never thought about her maybe getting more teeth. She refuses to drink water at bed time. Thats another problem. She always wants milk or juice. When she takes a cup to bed at night I mix the milk with water (3/4 water, 1/4 milk) and she drinks that just fine.
    agrafel

Answer by agrafel at 9:44 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Yeah, mine takes watered down juice at bedtime as well, I thought for some reason your daughter was drinking water at night. If your intent on taking away the juice then some of these ladies have good suggestions, if you end up letting her have her cup at night then maybe just brush her teeth first thing in the morning, I dont really know because I am going through the same thing as you, as for me I think I am going to let her keep the cup a bit longer......Good luck in whatever you decide :)
    jokermom

Answer by jokermom at 5:48 PM on Jan. 30, 2009