do you have to wait to start your period before you insert the nuva ring??

krazyash023

Asked by krazyash023 at 8:16 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Health

• I'm not sure what the reason is but i've always been told you have to start it after your period. it's birth control, do you really want to take chances? I do know if you don't start it accordingly, it will probably take longer to actually start working. My doctor said an extra month.
    Mommy0425

Answer by Mommy0425 at 12:15 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• No it depends.. when is your next period due? If it's close.. like next week or so, you should wait until you get it, and put it in on a Monday regardless of whether it has stopped or not. If it's like in 2 or 3 weeks you can go ahead and put it in on Monday. Well, it doesn't have to be a Monday, but just a day that you set for taking in/out the ring. =)
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 8:27 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• the thing is i don't know when it will be i quit taking the pill back in september and haven't had a period since.. my dr didn't seem to worried about it and gave me a sample of nuva ring and info about the iud but didn't tell me when i should start it or anything if i decide to go that route so i don't know??
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 8:31 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Oh lol then I would start anytime. But like I said, maybe start on a sunday or monday, so you'll always know it's at the beginning of the week.
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 8:34 PM on Jan. 29, 2009