What do you do when they don't stop screaming?!?!?

Hayden just turned 6 months. For awhile she was squeeling, but in the past few days it's turned into ear pearsing screams. It's not upset or angry screaming. I really think she's doing it because she wants to be the center of attention. She also gets whiney when I leave the room, but that only lasts for a second. Anyway, she screams and I don't know what to do. I've tried showing her negative attention by telling her in a loud stern voice, "No, Hayden. Too loud!" (Yes, I know she doesn't understand, but I try to treat her like a person and not a baby.) She just looks at me and smiles. I've tried showing her postive attention when she babbles and squeels. I even went so far as to LIGHTLY slap her hand and tell her no. She just looked at me like, "Whatever, Mommy." Any suggestions? I don't want to have the kind of child that I take out and she screams like a banshee and thinks she can get away with it. Please help!

HaydensMommy708

Asked by HaydensMommy708 at 8:21 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You smacked her hand? Don't do that. Just place her in a playpen or her crib and let her scream. She is far too young to understand what you are doing.
    Anonymous

• my son did that and i was told by my mom that he was discovering his voice. i dunno if thats true but hes 2 now and hasnt stopped. the best advice i can give you is- if you havent learned how to tune her out, then learn. listen just enough that if shes hurt you know it but enough that screaming doesnt bother you as much, i have tried everything else and it doesnt work. apparently from what i was told they will grow out of it.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:25 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Blow ONE puff of air in her face really hard and then say NO screaming. It will scare her but not hurt her.
    Anonymous

• Just keep giving her that positive talk and act, she will eventually grow out of it.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 8:27 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• btw there is a difference between LIGHTY tapping her hand and smacking her or beating her. one post mentioned that she doesnt know what you are doing-how is she ever gonna learn. i say it loud and proud-IF MY SON DOES SOMETHING WRONG I SPANK HIM!! i dont beat him. and there are mothers that will criticize but thats whats wrong with kids today. they dont get punished when they are in the wrong
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:28 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• No, I did not smack her had. I lightly "slapped" it. It didn't even make a noise. Geez, don't make it sound like I'm a monster! I liked the idea of blowing a puff of air in her face, but I do that as a game, so it's doubtful she would find that scary. Thanks for the replies so far. I hope they keep coming.
    HaydensMommy708

Answer by HaydensMommy708 at 8:31 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• My 5-month old has been doing this since he was 3 months. He's just listening to his own voice. I just let him scream......I think it's cute!
    Anonymous

• She'll stop eventually. Just think of it as a new toy for her that you unfortunately can't find the off switch for. She'll get bored and move on at some point. I wouldn't tap/smack whatever though-jmho
    ConnorsMommy521

Answer by ConnorsMommy521 at 8:50 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• You can put her in the swing and run the vacuum cleaner so you get some cleaning done without the screaming bothering you and she is able to do her thang.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:51 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• She is discovering your reactions to her sounds. The best thing to do is to say no and explain that it is to loud for indoors. And then when you are outside show that she can be louder. You have to keep your cool. It will take many times explaining but in the end you will get positive feedback. Also since she is trying to discover your reaction the best thing to do is give no reaction to her being loud unless it is becuz of a need of course. And plenty of attention when she is quiet and doing positive things. We have to remember that our children go off our reactions...we have to stay calm when they do something we dont like. The more we do, the bigger reaction we have the more the child will do this. Thats why it is always good to reward them and be more attentive to what the child does that is positive even if it is just being quiet in the house.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 9:16 PM on Jan. 29, 2009