Baby shower for only the first child?

I've heard that a baby shower is only for the first baby, and you just don't have another after that..

What's your opinion on it?

I guess I'd like to have another since I'm pregnant with my second child, but I'd want it to be mellow and fun.. last time it was kinda stuffy & boring.. I'd only ask for diapers and clothes.. nothing crazy expensive.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:30 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Depends on the family. I think that a baby shower is perfectly acceptable no matter how many kids you have. You are celebrating the birth of another child in my opinion. Some people will have another shower if the sex of their 2nd child is different than the first.
    I say if you want one, then go for it!!!
    MyMayBaby_Chloe

Answer by MyMayBaby_Chloe at 8:32 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I really changed my opinoin regarding this after I was pregnant with my second. I feel that having a baby shower is not only for the mother but also to celebrate the arrival of a new baby. I personally had a very difficult pregnancy the second time around and found it very difficult to really let myself get excited about the baby in fear of not knowing if something would go wrong. Having a baby shower helped me through this. I only invited family and a few close friends. I feel if you want another one go for it and if you invite someone who feels differently then they won't come.
    maddiemygirl

Answer by maddiemygirl at 8:36 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I never had a baby shower (and I have 2 kids). But I always wanted one.

Go ahead and have your shower. I know a woman who had a shower for all 5 of her kids. It's perfectly OK. If you want to make it small just have a couple friends and family over at your house.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 8:37 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I think it is fine also, every baby deserves a party!!!
    AM78

Answer by AM78 at 8:41 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• i think its fine, i heard they're called 'sprinkles' lol :p
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 8:42 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I think if someone wants to give you a shower, great. The idea that we should invite a few friends and family to give us gifts for our baby is just plain rude. I wouldn't go if I was invited by the mother. Buy your own things or keep your older child's for a hand me down. Gifts are generally given when the baby is born. Greedy, IMO.
    Anonymous

• I kinda agree with the anon post, dont throw one for yourself..If someone were to throw you one that would be fine! I think a baby shower is fun and a good place for people to come eat and relax etc! Yea there are gifts etc, but that should not be a necessity.
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 10:09 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I agree with the last 2 moms - if someone wants to throw you one I don't see a problem with it. I think it also depends on how long between babies. If there are many years, you probably don't have much left from the 1st. If they are less than a year apart I probably wouldn't want one.
    Crazy-Steph

Answer by Crazy-Steph at 10:23 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I don't think it matters how many children you have. A baby shower is to celebrate the birth of a baby, no matter how many came before it. It's celebrating a whole new babies life!! Congratulations!
    Mommy0425

Answer by Mommy0425 at 12:08 AM on Jan. 30, 2009