How long should I wait??

My sisters oldest son is 8 and him and some of his friends got in trouble at school for looking at an dirty magizine, I have a five year old when should I expaine the birds and the bees to him? I want to find out from me and not from some kid at school and not no all the facts. What should I do?

mkmama3130

Asked by mkmama3130 at 8:59 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i would wait for a cue that he is curious. Like maybe if he asks you a question such as how babies are made or why mommies and daddies kiss or something like that. Maybe even if you notice him touching or something. Honestly I think 5 is WAY too young. My ds is six and we havent even talked about that yet. Even though i am pregnant now I thought for sure it would be the topic of discussion. All he has said so far is that he knew where the baby was going to come out. I asked him where and he said where i go to the bathroom. I told him he was right and that was the end of the conversation. i dont believe he is ready. Honestly i would also be questioning why a child of 8 has access to a dirty magazine. Not to sound pious or anything but i would be concerned about that.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 9:31 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• omg...my stepson is 6 and I can't imagine having to explain that stuff to him yet. I am all about open lines of communication, but I think it's entirely appropriate to wait on this conversation. When I notice my stepson touching himself (scratching, innocently playing) I tell him that touching his privates in front of others is rude. He knows what his penis is, he knows girls have different parts but has no details...I think at this young age it's fine to answer questions VERY generally and tell him that he will learn more about it when he's a little older - but I agree with SaturnsMom - wait until there is some sign that he's curious/wondering/interested.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:58 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I really Suggest till he waits about 14 or 15 years old. Then you can talk to him about the birds and the bees.
    womenrule

Answer by womenrule at 11:14 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I learned the basics at 8. You know...the "this is what your body will go through, etc" My stepbrother loaned me a book when I was ten that said, "during intercourse...." yah....I was shocked... so... I'm thinking 5 is probably too young...(but then again, in this day and age...maybe we should start the talks at 1 year...like on sesame street...lmao .. JK...just...upset about the promiscuity of young people in my town...) More likely...I agree with SaturnsMom...wait until he's curious...
    srenee1988

Answer by srenee1988 at 2:19 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• well my daughter is 6 an th eother is 4 an they both have already asked me how did they get from my tummy to out? lol i just changed the subject lol an told them we would talk about that when they were 10 lol
    HOOSIERWIFE

Answer by HOOSIERWIFE at 2:46 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I think 14 or 15 is WAY too old! I know many people who were fooling around sexually before then. I lived in a nice town and went to a nice school too. I agree with most people and wait until he seems a little curious or like he could understand better.
    MissHurricat

Answer by MissHurricat at 9:41 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• At 5 years old you should be teaching them about their body parts and how to respect them. Also appropriate touching and inappropriate touching. Some parents make up names for the body parts because they feel more comfortable with that while others use the correct names. Either one you choose, your child should know these things first before the big talk.
    Anonymous