How are you saving money on everyday things?

I am trying to cut way back on all expenses I was wondering how everyone saves money every day. So far I have cut back by cooking more and eating out less, and by making many of my girls clothing as well as making some clothes for myself and making my purses. I want to cut back on household items and cleaning items. Ideas would be awesome. Thanks

sew4fun

Asked by sew4fun at 8:59 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Simply don't spend. Don't buy ANYTHING until you need it.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 9:01 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• the dollar store has alot of cleaning supplies, snacks and juice, batteries, soap, etc. check their for things if you really get in a pinch. to save money, i always prepare meals at home, make my own baby food (i do that cuz its healthy and fun too) and when i go to the store i basically only get BOGO deals and create meals out of the sale items. one more thing- when you cook dinner, instead of serving everyone their own portion of whatever meat you serve, you can make a small portion go far by chopping it up adding it to some pasta with a cheap veg and have a good, cheap dinner
    snoober_k

Answer by snoober_k at 9:08 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• There's a group on CM called "Green, Organic, Natural Living" and they have loads of great ideas & recipes for making your own stuff. For us, I make my own laundry soap & cleaning products, grow a good bit of our food & try to eat in season b/c it is cheaper to do so, cook all of our meals, pack our lunches, use re-useable containers, buy on sale & then only if it is something I need, not just want, plus we have all energy efficient appliances, CFL lightbulbs, use coupons only for products I usually use (versus buying something just b/c I have a coupon for it - that costs money, not saves it), and buy in bulk & stock up on sale items for things we use often. We also unplug anything that is not actively being used b/c chargers & small appliances suck power even when off.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:12 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• We grew some Veggies in 2008 and have some in the freezer, especially a lot of squash. We buy a wide variety of beans, brown and wild rice, We cook from scratch. When we cook meats or poultry I save the broth, skim the fat off and freeze the rest for soups and flavoring other dishes.

For 2009 we have purchased heirloom seeds so we can save our own seeds for the next years plantings. We've been busy planting a wide variety of fruit shrubs, trees and vines. Our middle son who lives in Missouri lives in a home he and I own together. For him we are helping to put in an edible landscape and he also wants to try hydroponics later.

Basicly, we focus on healthy nutrition and cooking from scratch, avoiding preservatives and unnecessary food ingredients that do not in the best interest of keeping our bodies healthy...this way, with exercise...we are also keeping our health expenses low. No sodas or products with fructose corn syrup.
    naturescape

Answer by naturescape at 12:17 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• The best thing we've done so far to save money is by unplugging all unused electronics and only turning them on(plugging them in) when we are using them.
    Been able to cut our electric bill by like 3/4 that way.

We also buy more budget-friendly at a discount type food store.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 7:35 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I am a huge coupon clipper! I save coupons I wouldn't always use even because alot of times I can get things for free with coupons and you never know when the next sale will be on those items. I only buy it if it is free or very very cheap and I will replace it with something else I would have bought that week. I also shop at CVS. They have an awesome extracare program. I walk out of there every week paying nothing OOP but my tax. You can check out the CVS/Walgreen's group here on CM. Another group I go to alot is the Deals & Steals group. They have lots of frugal ideas on there and I believe there are recipes to make your own detergents and things as well. Also, check out angelfoodministries.com. It is a neat program.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:00 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• There is a great product line called SNAP it is a little pricy when you first look at is. But you pay 10.00 for a bottle and get the equivellent of 16 bottles it is worth it. If you want more info I can get it for you a friend of mine sells it.
    MOTIVESMOMMY

Answer by MOTIVESMOMMY at 9:50 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Shop the dollar stores and if you have an Aldi's or Save-a-lot near you. If you can buy things reasonable and have a place to store it, do that. Don't throw leftovers away. Make a tv dinner out of them for a rainy day. Grow your own veggies and freeze or can them. Watch the sale papers and try to do all your errands in one trip. Clorox is a really good general purpose cleaner. Not just for clothes. Check out some of the groups around here. You will find many of them have wonderful and useful info.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 6:44 PM on Jan. 30, 2009