How to deal with a bad sibling jealousy

My two year old daughter is past the stage of acting like a baby when i first brought my son home but now hes 9 months and i cant put him down without her hitting, slapping, pushing him i try telling her that i will hold her if she is nice to him once i put him down but as soon as i do she will hit his head and then come to me so i put her in her room but then i feel bad thinking maybe she thinks "my mom is always holding the new baby and not me" i dont know how else to go about this any advice will be great!

LovingMyKids02

Asked by LovingMyKids02 at 9:04 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hon i don't know what to say beats me. My Little Girl is 5 and my son who is 2 they are so Jealous of each other its not funny. Those to beat the heck out of each other all the time. My kids get so much individual attention is unreal. I even do projects that teaches them to be kind and share.
    Anonymous

• I'm really not sure, it could just be her age. My kids are 5 years apart, so I don't have that problem because my oldest understands that the baby can not take care of herself yet like she can. Maybe try to spend more time with your oldest child doing something that they like to do would help her to take her mind off the baby for a while. If hubby can do it while you are taking care of the baby, that would be better IMO.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 10:36 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I don't know what to tell you either. I have a 15 year old stepson who was extremely jealous when his baby sister came along 2 years ago. He didn't hit her of course, but he did act out in other ways. Do you try to involve her in the care of her new sibling? Maybe that will help. Show her that you are not replacing her but that you need her "help" with the new baby. Maybe that will take her mind off of being so jealous.
    Mizzjos

Answer by Mizzjos at 10:59 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I waited with my daughter until she was almost 3. We tried at 2 but she was not ready! I think the language piece is a big part of this! My son is 2 right now, and I will probaly wait until he is 3 as well! Good Luck!
    dez32

Answer by dez32 at 11:10 AM on Jan. 30, 2009