child support & income taxes

hey girls! ok heres my situation, my ex is past due on his child support, last year i recieved a letter saying that if he's behind on payments then i will recieve it next year from his tax return. how does that work? do i have to do anything to recieve it? file any papers & what not or it just shows up in the mail for whatever he owes for his daughter? if you know anything about this or had any experience w/this let me know. THANKS! happy tax returns to you & ur families lol

beachmom0703

Asked by beachmom0703 at 9:06 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

• You don't have to file anything. They will just send it once it is taken from him if he even files.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:08 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• so if he doesn't file i don't get anything? can he choose not to file? i thought that was illegal. do they just send it in check form then to me?
    beachmom0703

Answer by beachmom0703 at 9:13 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• It is illegal for him not to file, but it could take awhile for it to catch up with him. It will probably come as a check from the child support office if he does file.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:16 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• It is illegal but you have some jacka** men who don't file just so the ex won't get anything. If he does file you should just get a check. If he doesn't you won't get anything. Hopefully for you he will.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:17 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• just to give u an idea of how long it takes the irs to catch people...my mom didn't file her taxes when she withdrew 90,000 from her 401k and now 15 years later they still haven't caught her. hopefully he files. good luck
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 10:38 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Well my mother didn't either on her 401 and it was far less then 90g's and she got caught a year later, lol.
    Anonymous

• This is a question either to your lawyer and/ or the child support recovery folks.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:33 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• make sure you call your lawer or child support office they are the ones that do the paper work so his income can be intercept it or garnish it ,my sperm donor was behind 15000 and when he filled I received it in june or july. My advice is not to count with it but when it comes I would call it a blessing.And I just wish the laws were more strict on those dead beat dads or moms they have it easy after they owe you so much back pay they can pay as they please we don't deprive our kids or try not deprive them of anything or raise them on payment plans lucky them...
    grace11

Answer by grace11 at 11:32 AM on Jan. 30, 2009