Do you drink while breast feeding?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Alcohol? Very infrequently.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:10 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I will once in a while if I am not going to nurse for a couple hours and it is only one drink. If I am going to have more than one then I pump or use formula.
    Anonymous

• Yes. I had two drinks tonight, though I rarely drink. DD is 14 months, and I went out after she went to bed, and will not nurse for several more hours.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 9:48 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• While I am in the act of breastfeeding? No. When I was nursing, yes. I nursed my daughter for 21 months and safely drank during that time. Kellymom.com has tons of info! :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:52 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• i did not drink when i nursed. but......i had a friend that did every once in a while. and she would do this thing that she called "pump and dump" basically, she would pump the next morning after having a few drinks and dump the breast milk and feed her baby formula. after the alcohol had a chance to get out of her system, shed nurse again!
    Anonymous

• I read that "pump & dump" dosn't do it. since alcohol filters out of your body withing several hours it also filters out of your milk... so theres no need to pump & dump
    Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 10:09 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• yea, there is no need to pump and dump unless you get engorged and aren't sober... then it helps. But pumping and dumping is ineffective and it doesn't get the alcohol out at all. 1 hour per shot/beer/glass of wine, then it's out of your system or milk.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:12 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I only do after my daughter is asleep for the night. She doesn't wake up for night feedings anymore and I'll pump before I go out, keep it in the fridge for her first morning feeding.
    Anonymous

• the alcohol can stay in your breat milk untill its comes out but pump and dump is the best thing you can do for your little one.....I wouldnt want to take to chance of giving my baby something that even has the littlest amount of alcohol in it..........The doctors actually told me that if I'm going to drink that I should not brestfed until 4 hours afterwards and to make sure i empty my breast as much as I can before i feed him and dump the milk out....Good luck
    1SkylersMommy1

Answer by 1SkylersMommy1 at 1:34 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Pump and dump is ineffective. The only thing that will rid your milk of alcohol is time. 1-2 drinks? I'd nurse. Any more then that? I'd wait 2-3 hrs per drink before nursing again.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:27 AM on Jan. 30, 2009