Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever been a legal guardian of a child?

How did you become a legal guardian?

What legal steps did you take to be one or were you appointed legal guardian by the parents?

Say you weren't a legal guardian but you wanted to be based on suspicion of child abuse or because you think there are kids being neglected, what legal steps would you have to take to become a legal guardian?

Thank you!

Answer Question

Asked by Imogine at 8:21 PM on Jun. 3, 2012 in General Parenting

Level 22 (14,425 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • I was the mother signed over custodial rights to me, after court she went to live with her gma but I still had her during the week and weekends and we still help pay for everything for her :)

    Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 8:23 PM on Jun. 3, 2012

  • We are the legal guardians of the grands. We filed the paperwork, had a court date, was appointed a GAL, judge decided (relied heavily on report from GAL) we were the best choice. We were thrilled..its' be 6 /2 years.

    Answer by meooma at 8:26 PM on Jun. 3, 2012

  • ^^6 1/2 years.

    Answer by meooma at 8:27 PM on Jun. 3, 2012

  • So being a guardian doesn't necessarily mean she could live with you if something happens with her parents or anything?

    Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 8:30 PM on Jun. 3, 2012

  • in ohio if there is no CPS case, a parent can motion for you to be the guardian and as long as you are a family member you can do so.
    IF there is a CPS case then you go through the same rigourous investigation that a foster parent would go through.

    Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 8:40 PM on Jun. 3, 2012

  • I made my mom legal guardian of my son so she could get a mortgage loan. He didn't have to live with her. If someone made you legal guardian and something happened to the parents, you'd just have to make sure the child had a proper home. You wouldn't have to let the child live with you. I'm sure a lot of legal guardians put kids in boarding schools if there is a trust. Check your state laws to make sure. Most family law attorneys give a free consultation.

    Answer by admckenzie at 8:47 PM on Jun. 3, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.