what should I do? Need advice

I was outside a local store and a man with a badge came up to me and asked to see my receipt. I was with my sister and we handed over our receipts and he continued to say he had us on tape shoplifing. When we asked to see the tapes( we weren't guilty and wanted to prove it) he replied by saying we couldn't watch the tapes unless we were arrested and went to court. After 10 minutes of being accused outside in front of everyone, he let us go. We went straight to the police dept. where we were informed he was just a secruity guard. (he was dressed in street clothes but had a badge) The police said there was nothing they could do, we had to take it up with the stores cooperate office. Do you think we should pursue it, as we were extremely embarrassed, or drop it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Pursue it with the corporate office. If he is a predator and this is about harassing you then the next person he does this to could become a victim. Make a complaint and follow through with it. I don't necessarily think you need to sue, but definitely make a complaint. If he really had footage of you shoplifting, he would have called the police and had you arrested.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 9:35 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I would pursue it to the fullest extent possible! There was no call for that kind of behavior from this man. He seems like maybe he's one of these guys who think he's untouchable and can harass anyone he wants because he's a "rent-a-cop."
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 9:37 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• he must have wanted to feel like somebody and excericise his "AUTHORITY" Laugh!
    Anonymous

• I would definitely complain, he may not even be a security guard there he could just be some creep who bought a badge to harass people.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:40 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• definitely persue it. They will probably just take down your information, but if they get a few complaints hopefully they will at least fire this creep!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:40 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• HM. I prob follow up because that's the only way to kind of make him responsible for his actions.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 9:41 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• persue
    SpiderMama123

Answer by SpiderMama123 at 9:44 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I was hanging out by the make up alot, but I'm a new mom and wanted to change the colors I wear thinking a new mini makeover would give me a boost of energy, and couldn't decide. I understand he may of thought he was doing his job (people do make mistakes) but he should have taken me in a private spot to clear things up. Not make accusations in front of everyone coming in and out of the store!
    Anonymous

• Totally pursue it!! I would not stop until I had a formal apology as well as even a gift card or something to encourage you to even shop there again.
    ItalianMomma04

Answer by ItalianMomma04 at 9:51 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• but he should have taken me in a private spot to clear things up. Not make accusations in front of everyone coming in and out of the store!

I was at Wal-Mart with one of my friends in High school and kept noticing this one man following us around...I thought it was creepy, and wanted to leave. After we bought our stuff and went out the door, we were stopped. I was told I could leave, but my friend had to stay because she had shoplifted. I had no clue she had taken anything!! (probably because I was too paranoid about being followed....ended up being an undercover security guard who saw what she did). They didn't care about making it private either, but I can understand they need the person to leave for it to be stealing, so there really is no where else to bring it up, other then outside or as you leave and sound the alarms. Good Luck though!!
    ItalianMomma04

Answer by ItalianMomma04 at 9:54 PM on Jan. 29, 2009