This war is killing our soldiers in more ways than one. Who wants an end to this madness?

WASHINGTON – Stressed by war and long overseas tours, U.S. soldiers killed themselves last year at the highest rate on record, the toll rising for a fourth straight year and even surpassing the suicide rate among comparable civilians. Army leaders said they were doing everything they could think of to curb the deaths and appealed for more mental health professionals to join and help out.

At least 128 soldiers committed suicide in 2008, the Army said Thursday. And the final count is likely to be even higher because 15 more suspicious deaths are still being investigated.

It's all about pressure and the military approach, said Kim Ruocco, 45, whose Marine husband was an officer and Cobra helicopter pilot who hanged himself in a California hotel room in 2005. That was one month before he was to return to Iraq a second time.

I'm afrais for my brother and cousin. who are there now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think it's the war and what they are witnessing so much as it is their women who are here being unfaithful to them. My friend, who is also a member here, has her husband in Iraq for the FOURTH time. They have 3 small children. My brother in law just left Iraq but it still stationed oversea's...his faithful wife is there with him. Both have "stories" and issues. But neither are suicidal.

My little brother is in training in Virginia. His slut(aka wife) is here, cheating and rubbing it in his face, spending ALL his money, and denying him access to his child. He was put on suicide watch. It's not the war, it's the helplessness they feel when they can't control what's happening to them and their lives.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 12:33 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Obama does. He will end the madness.
    Anonymous

• Why are they killing themselves?
    Anonymous

• Stress from the war. The suicide rate has been on the increase. Maybe it is from things the general public is not allowed to know.
    Anonymous

• Why? Can you even begin to wonder wth they went through? Then they come back home only to be treated like chit from the government.
    Anonymous

• "Officials have said that troops are under unprecedented stress because of repeated and long tours of duty due to the simultaneous wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Yearly increases in suicides have been recorded since 2004, when there were 64 — only about half the number now. Officials said they found that the most common factors were soldiers suffering problems with their personal relationships, legal or financial issues and problems on the job.

But the magnitude of what the troops are facing in combat shouldn't be forgotten, said Rep. Joe Sestak, D-Pa., a former Navy vice admiral, who noted he spoke with a mother this week whose son was preparing for his fifth combat tour.

"This is a tough battle that the individuals are in over there," Sestak said. "It's unremitting every day."

Anonymous

• "An earlier report showed the Marine Corps recorded 41 possible or confirmed suicides in 2008 — about 19 per 100,000 troops.

The military's numbers don't include deaths after people have left the services. The Department of Veterans Affairs tracks those numbers and says there were 144 suicides among the nearly 500,000 service members who left the military from 2002-2005 after fighting in at least one of the two ongoing wars. "
    Anonymous

• Maybe it's because they are putting their lives on the line defending this country, it's freedoms and then too many "free-speakers" show them no support while they are over there or after they return!
    Anonymous

• My husband is there now and I really don't worry. If he has problems when he gets home we'll deal with it.

If you don't want to risk this, don't join the freaking military!!! It is still a volunteer job. And 7 years post-9/11 everyone who is still there knows exactly what they are getting in to.

Although all the negativity from the Left doesn't help--"the war is lost" etc....No wonder they feel their efforts are all for naught.

We can leave Iraq like we left Vietnam to a power vacuum and the slaughter of millions or we can act like Americans and try to leave Iraq a better place just like we did in Europe and Japan post-WWII.
    Anonymous

• I can actually speak from what my husband has told me about other guys situations.He is doing his second tour in Afghanistan right now.I don't think its so much the trauma of what they have seen as lack of support back home.Within weeks of the first deployment guys were already getting "Dear John"letters from their significant others,their bank accounts being cleared out,kids being taken from them.Its horrible-can you imagine doing what they are & the one thing(person) you should be able to depend on does that to you.I can't speak for all soldiers obviously but the guys here actually missed the place & looked forward to going back(other then the obvious crappy leaving the whole family part).I think each person deals w/ it differently but having your loved ones standing by them makes a huge difference.Also no matter how Americans feel about the war we all should support these guys-God Bless them all and their loved ones.
    soldiersgirl531

Answer by soldiersgirl531 at 10:12 PM on Jan. 29, 2009