About what age should you start potty training your child?

We have a 2 year old boy and we are wondering if it is too soon to start potty training him. He talks some but I don't think well enough to let us know when he needs to go. Does that generally matter? Any help on this would really be appreciated! Thank you!

JoeysGirl28

Asked by JoeysGirl28 at 10:07 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son started showing interest when he was about two. We bought him one of those musical potties so it made going to the potty fun. Which he liked going anyway when he sees other people going. He's in pull ups now but doesn't always tell us when he has to go, and he speaks very well. He goes to the potty at school now and sometimes at home. We haven't really pushed him, but we do constantly ask him if he needs to go and let him try. Some people may not agree with this but we reward him with M&M's. He gets one for going # 1, and two for going # 2. Also, give him options. He has the musical one downstairs and the little seat upstairs in his bathroom, sometimes he would rather just sit on the big toilet so, we just try to make it look interesting and fun for him to want to try. Good Luck!
    Mommy0425

Answer by Mommy0425 at 10:35 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• There's no "right" age for potty training. I know someone who's kids were each trained before 2, my older boys were both almost 3, and my youngest is 2 1/2 and showing no interest, no signs that he's close to being ready for potty training. Get a good book or do some research on what signs to look for that he's ready for it. The ones I can think of are knowing when he's wet or dirty and not wanting to be wet or dirty, being able to stay dry for a couple hours, being able to express that he has to go (even if it's just "go pee-pee"), there's more, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

I personally don't think that it's worth the fight you will have if he's not ready. My sister started too soon with my niece and it was a huge struggle for both of them. I let my kids lead the way and it was fairly easy, not an overnight process, but not a huge struggle for us. Good luck.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:44 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I also don't think that there is a "right" age to potty train. I know that DD started showing interest when she was about 18 months old, but she didn't start actually using the potty until she was about 20-21 months. You'll get the cues from your son, just go with it. Anytime he shows interest, have him sit on the potty. It'll eventually happen.
    Anonymous

• DD is 19 months and we started at 15 months. At this age, we still have to remind her (ask her if she needs to go to the potty or sit her on the potty). If she needs to go, she will run to the bathroom. lol. She hasn't really learned to tell us but she does wait until she does wait until she is on the potty to go.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 12:50 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• i have heard and read if the diaper is dry before you lay him down for a nap and it's still dry when you wake him up....then you can start trying.....i have twins that just turned 2 yrs and we bought them potty chairs at 16mths....and just let them sit on it with a diaper at 1st when we used the restroom and it wasn't long until they wanted their diapers off....they're not fully potty trained but.....we haven't really forced the issue either....they let us know if they want to use the potty...and for boys you can put a piece of cereal in the toilet bowel and tell them to squirt it....
    mamaoftwins0107

Answer by mamaoftwins0107 at 2:10 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My son's been learning how to use his potty since he was about 18 months old. He still wets his diaper, but if he's not wearing one, he'll always go in a potty. He's now 21 months and beginning to poop in the potty. If you think of it as a learning experience rather than "training," it'll go a lot more smoothly.
    MelanieLouise

Answer by MelanieLouise at 9:11 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• A big thanks to all you ladies for your help on this! Keep all the advice coming! I truely appreciate any help! :-)
    JoeysGirl28

Answer by JoeysGirl28 at 11:18 PM on Feb. 12, 2009