When will the stomach bug leave?

My 4 year old daughter had a real nasty run in with a stomach bug this past Sunday. She was throwing up any and everything that came near her mouth! She drank all water and some gatorade. She even threw up food that I tried to give her, like crackers. She complained of a stomache all day. Monday, she was feel better! No vomiting! Not even on Tuesday. Then Wednesday comes around and she wakes up early early to throw up. An hour later, she had diarrhea! I fed her some french fries with her chicken that night, so I figured that it might had been too greasy? Well, this morning she woke up and said she had to go potty...and had diarrhea again! She's ok during the day...stomache and vomiting & diarrhea at night/early am. She just threw up a few minutes ago. She had eggs and toast tonight...too greasy? What's going on? I know this is a virus...nothing doc can do. Any suggestions?

KGImama

Asked by KGImama at 10:38 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• just keep doing what you've been doing. :o( hope she feels better soon.
    the recent bug is a long lasting one, my aunt had it for 3 weeks...
    Anonymous

• This bug lasted 6 days for us but we had it 2 years ago and it lasted 10. The diarrhea goes on for days no matter what you feed them. But stick to starchy stuff, bananas, rice, apples, bread, etc. Keep her hydrated, that's most important. Lay towels on the floor where she's likely to watch TV or play in case she vomits and keep her on the toilet. It's terrible. Hopefully you'll just have two more days. Hang in there. If she gets listless and won't drink, take her in.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:45 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Yep, the stomach flu. My boys just got over it and both were in the ER Tuesday night. It can last 2-7 days. Give her flat ginger-ale or 7-up, water and Gatorade like you have. Do not feed her anything till she stops throwing up. My second son was so dehydrated that they had to give him IV fluids. They were considering transferring him to our local children's hospital but he got better. They can dehydrate just from a fever so give her fluids. If she is puking give it to her after she does so it has more of a chance staying down. Have you talked to your pedi? I would. Mine also gave a script for my older son(Zofran) to stop his puking. After so long of puking medical attention may be needed as in our case. Hope your LO gets better soon.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:04 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Are you sure it's not salmonella? She's not eating any of the recalled foods is she? Peanut butter products? Seems odd for it to go away then come back.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 1:55 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• ...Did she go back to school when she was feeling better? If so she may be eating something there.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 1:57 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Stop giving her anything with grease. Start giving her all starches and carbs to help bulk her up. It can take a couple of weeks for the virus to work completely through her system. Just make sure you sanitize everything you can, especially the toilet area and everyone's hands. She's still throwing up, so keep everything BLAND. Until her poop is firmed back up for a good couple of days, keep her on bland starches and carbs....then go back to a regular diet. Oh..stop giving juice. The sugar makes it worse. Stick to water.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:13 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• we had this my 18 month old son did the same exact thing and he just got over it , my 29 day old daughter caught it as well and she just got past the vomiting part
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 5:48 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Actually some sugar is needed. You can dehydrate more with just plain water. That's why they say it is Ok to drink ginger-ale or anything clear. But only feed her after she isn't puking. I would just call the pedi.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:01 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• my daughter caught one last winter than hung on for close to 2 weeks. BUt it was only serious for about 6 days. She couldn't keep anything down and it was coming out both ends. She actually ended up in the er twice for IVs. Good luck, keep an on the the baby and it will pass.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:13 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I want to first thank everyone for their stories and suggestions! She's not throwing up anymore. She did Thursday night once. It's like a night thing. She had diarrhea only in the early mornings. Today...she has full blast diarrhea...which actually seems better because I think it's finally passing thru her bowels completely and should be gone by this weekend. I am going to keep her in bed with lots of fluids today and probably tomorrow. She's been on the toilet 4 times already today. I am headed to the store for some gatorade and tylenol (for the cramps). She was in school this week because she felt fine all day. It was at night that she had a spout of dirrhea and when asked shes like, oh, I'm fine today. I underestimated this virus. But everything seems like it's going to be ok. I am trying to get her to eat some yogurt to replenish the good bacteria she probably lost thru this whole ordeal. Again I wanna thank yall!
    KGImama

Answer by KGImama at 8:38 AM on Jan. 31, 2009