Has anyone had "the talk" with their 11 year old yet? If so how did it go?

Steff107

Asked by Steff107 at 10:40 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Yep around here it starts around 9yo. Go ahead and tell me that is to young all you anons but you wouldn't believe what all they already know by that age. And how much mis info they get already. So yeah def go ahead and have the talk. I would start out with how the body changes, then move into the other stuff. Or at least that is what I did. My son is already asking some questions and he is only 8. So don't be ashamed. Tell him/her she doesn't have to look at you if the talk is making them uncomfortable, or if they have any questions they are embarressed about wright them down and you can tell them or wright back to them. It really does help, some kids.
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 10:49 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I remember when I was 10. I got my information from the "S" encyclopedia lol. When my mom finally got around to try to fumble through the talk with me, I think I probably knew more than she did.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:17 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• 9 really isn't all that young, I agree with you. Many girls get their period at 9. You've got to warn them about it and it's purpose sometime before they find red in their undies and freak out. You've got to talk to them about sex before their friends do. I'm amazed at the things I've heard come out of little one's mouths about sex.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:18 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I have talked to my (at the time 5 and 8 y/o) about babies. I was pregnant and naturally they had questions. I talked about how the Dad gives cells to the mom and she has a cell and they come together inside the mom and a baby grows from those cells. That is a little too babyish for an 11y/o though. I talked to them about sex but nothing specific, just about love and "sharing one's body" and how special it is. I hope this helps.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 1:34 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• At 9 also, but baby steps. Her dr explained things to her also. At 10 I talked more and went into much more detail, not just about getting her period. I used books a lot (American Girl book is great) because I was kinda awkward with the details by myself. On "The Doctors" show on channel 5 the gyno they have on the show talked w/girls 10-11 during a slumber party and was "very" graphic. She was saying "the penis gets hard and then gets very happy, happy, happy" The girls just laughed a lot and were going "oh, ick and stuff.
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 9:41 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Well, y'all sitten down? I had to explain it to my oldest son, who was 6 and in the first grade!!! Yep. He came home one day from school, I was Ironing & he said, "Mama I learned something in school today."'what I asked?' then he held up his hand pointer finger straight out and said this means boy....then made a circle with his hand and said, this means a girl. Now, I was ok with that, as I was like, 'ok he's going to say girls were 0 zero's and boys were #1-well nope! He said, I also learned girls have titts my eyes widend and I said, 'oh?' and then the boom ' and-girls have pussies'. MOUTH FELL OPEN, LONG WITH HOT IRON ON MY KITCHEN FLOOR!!! I said, 'who told you this'? 'Haden"So needless to say, his Daddy and I sat down and talked to him, I had just had my youngest. So he saw the baby in my tummy. I also had to tell his teacher and she almost died. Her 2nd year of teaching. LOL. That was a good one for her..lol.

Sweet_Peach

Answer by Sweet_Peach at 3:55 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My son already told me his thoughts of what sex was and he will be 9 in March so if the talk needs to be done sooner is better then later. he received information from a child at school. Thankfully it wasn't bad but you don't want him to receive the wrong information.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 11:56 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Ha! We told him where babies come from a few day's ago. He asks because I just had my fourth two weeks ago so he's been around a lot of little ones lately. We didn't get too graphic just the basic sperm and egg deal....he turned around looked at my mom (she's like mom too, just in case you are wondering)and said, why are you telling me this. Icouldn't help but laugh, he said it was gross, so I guess we did our job!lol!!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 2:08 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I give the talk WAY sooner than that. My 7 year old knew at 5. We talk continuously because I don't want them getting bad information in other places. I know other kids told me at around 6 or 7. At 11, it's likely the child already knows.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:02 AM on Feb. 2, 2009