does black and blue cohosh really work for labor induction

betsy213

Asked by betsy213 at 10:56 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It is VERY dangerous, as are all inductions. You're baby will come out on it;s own. Some babies take longer to cook, and unless it's a REAL emergancy, induction=abuse in my book.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 10:58 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• they work best when used together. I have heard they work from midwives, but I wouldn't use them unless you can talk to a midwife, naturopath for the dosage... as well as not using them before 39 weeks.. they wont work if your body isn't ready.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:59 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Black and blue cohosh, as well as castor oil, are very dangerous ways to try to encourage labor. Try having sex and walking, as well as raspberry leaf tea, spicy food, and more sex and walking. Ultimately, baby will come when he/she is ready, and you don't want to deal with the awful intestinal cramping or meconium associated with these herbs (read: DANGERS).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:12 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Some think so~ it is pretty risky, imo. If you do it, be sure to have a professional supervising w/BP cuff.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:26 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• while I also don't recommend it without being supervised and because I don't believe in inductions. Neither black nor blue cohosh are laxatives, or have laxative properties so they wont cause menconium to be passed...

but they can cause a dip in blood pressure. these herbs are used outside of pregnancy to ease the pain in menstration and help tone the uterus.

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:33 PM on Jan. 29, 2009