Copper.

my fatehr has an old hound, probably 13 or 14, i visited there recently, and he just looked so OLD, and by old i mean O-L-D! his face was white, he walked slow, he cant jump on high beds anymore...my dad and him are like "brothers", and i know he loves him a lot...hes been in our family since he was 8wks old...but i worry he is beginning to "suffer" and i remember our old labrador, and we put her down around 13 yrs, but she also had massive strokes the last yr and we felt we were being "selfish" by keeping her around for our own leisure...when do you think "enough is enough" and what would you do in this situation? copper seems over all "happy", but i worry his legs bother him, and he smells awful (that "hound smell" amplified) regardless of how much my dad bathes him.

my father has a 6 yr old dalmatian as well, so without copper, he is not completely left without, but still, copper has been his companion for over a decade.

Cowbell88

Asked by Cowbell88 at 1:37 PM on Jun. 5, 2012 in Pets

• That is sad
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 1:41 PM on Jun. 5, 2012

• i know...my dad will keep him around forever though if he could cos my dad is sucha dog lover.
    Cowbell88

Comment by Cowbell88 (original poster) at 1:51 PM on Jun. 5, 2012

• I have met a dog who had hip and back problems, and she seemed determined to not let it get her down, but then she was unable to get comfortable started having accidents, it was time then. If he still seems happy and is able to do some modified things then I don't think it's time just yet.
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 2:06 PM on Jun. 5, 2012

• If the dog is happy, I wouldn't put him to sleep. But if he smells, you might want to have his ears checked for infection. Many breeds with long ears, hounds included, often get ear infections.
    IheartTea

Answer by IheartTea at 2:46 PM on Jun. 7, 2012

• I truly feel like when they are ready- they will find a way to let us know..

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 4:39 PM on Jun. 13, 2012