social skills, lack of

My son is in pre school. Has been since last year, and it seems that he really has not many friends. I am worried about him. Any suggestions?

jaded151

Asked by jaded151 at 11:26 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• In preschool they dont really have "friends" they just kinda play "around" other kids mostly.

If he is doing fine otherwise, then he should be ok and he will grow into friendships as he ages.

But if you want to encourage him a bit, why not pick a friend (maybe someone you already know) and invite them to the park or some other playdate.

I am a teacher by the way ;) I have a degree in Early Childhood Education!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:28 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Some children are just loners. My daught is one herself, but if it really bothers you try putting him in some play groups or talking to him about having a party with some of his friends from school and watch them from your house see if they are being mean or if he just likes being by himself. And thats ok too.
    mrs.blankenship

Answer by mrs.blankenship at 12:27 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My daughter is three and about to enter preschool, she is zealous about the prospect of making friends. I guess all preschool-age children are exited about the idea of friendship but are only just developing socially so cannot really have true friends yet. If she has only one or two friend's I will be proud and happy for her. When we go out or visit with friends who have kids she is happy! even if those kids are older and find her annoying, she is just happy to be around other boys and girls close in age. some preschoolers are just very independent and have reclusive personalities while others are more extroverted with "social butterfly personalities. I wouldn't worry about your son he is just being himself, learning, and exploring social boundaries..Right?

GINSMUM123

Answer by GINSMUM123 at 12:50 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Talk to his teacher.....She will be able to tell you if his behavior is steering kids clear of him or if he's just quiet and reserved. She'll also be able to give you insight as to any concerns developementally (although I doubt there is any). You may be surprised to hear just how much he actually does interact.....I know my son doesn't tell me half of what he does while he's there : )
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 7:31 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• at that age, our daughter didn't have "friends". She just played with everyone. At 13 she is still sort of like that...she just blends in and goes with the flow. People say she is very comfortable to be around cause she doesn't do the "click" thing.
    Anonymous