how do you discipline a 15 month old when time out doesn't work?

bella021

Asked by bella021 at 11:33 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i put my daughter in her crib when she is misbehaveing she crys but i let her sit there for at least 15-20 mins she is 18 months
    cielo1

Answer by cielo1 at 11:35 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Swat on the butt. It's the only way to gain control. Time outs are okay. I definately don't like the counting thing. Nothing looks sillier than a mom, counting to a child. You are the parent. You have to gain control.
    Anonymous

• I make mine sit on the couch.
    Anonymous

• I believe there really is not a good way to discipline a 15 month old I would say try and popping them it would do nothing but hurt there feelings and teach them how to hit back and you don't want that. I would say take something a way from them or putting them to bed maybe to get a point across. Try putting them in a crip with the lights out in the other room for as long as you would put them into timeout. they don't want to miss out on any action so they will start to listen.
    mrs.blankenship

Answer by mrs.blankenship at 12:33 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• We don't necessarily discipline her. When she gets into something that she shouldn't, we tell her not to touch that. If she doesn't move, we walk over, make eye contact, say no, and then move her away from it. When she throws a tantrum, we ignore her. Let her work out her anger. When she is ready to calm down she usually comes to find us and usually wants to be held. I think the most important thing is to not give in when LO demands something. And to stay clam. Kids at this age will reflect the moods of the people around them. 

Why do you have to discipline? What is she doing wrong?

Good luck!

jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 12:46 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Psychology major here! LOL! No seriously, the whole point of a time out is negative reinforcement. But the thing is negative reinforcement doesn't have to only include the old fashioned measures. There was a case that we learned about in Abnormal Psych. of an Autistic boy whose mother got him to stop masturbating in public by squirting him in the mouth with lemon juice with a squirt gun. I know that sounds silly but I am just trying to cite an example. The thing with reinforcement though is to reward positive reinforcement. The problem with hitting or spanking is that children look at their mothers with unconditional love and when they are hit by them they think "ok, first ya hug me now your hitting me?" It is believed that that is what develops trust issues. I have a 22 month old who is approaching the terrible 2's and what I do is look her in the eyes and say very firmly in an authoritative voice 'NO'.
    amberjade11

Answer by amberjade11 at 12:58 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Time out is not really effective for a 15-month old. Discipline is teaching your child the right behavior to achieve a positive result - like amberjade11 says - positive reinforcement. Re-direction, do-overs, practice, praising every time your child makes a good behavior choice - as they get older, they'll learn to re-direct themselves before getting into trouble rather than relying on authority to tell them when to stop. It takes a lot of repetition for a child's brain to develop the long-term memory necessary to remember rules and limitations - that's why consistency is key - using the same logical consequences and discipline over and over and over and over again will help develop the memory so that children can remember the consequences before they get into trouble...and make good choices based on past experience. At 15 months, most are just repeating the same "experiments" to see if they get the same results.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 1:12 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Thanks amberjade11 JPsMommy! I could have never said it better!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:15 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• dr sears' the discipline book could help here. amberjade and jpsmommy are right, imo.
    shawnaquijada

Answer by shawnaquijada at 1:49 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I used to put my son in the crib for a time out, at this age they don't really understand. Now we use the highchair, I strap him in there! He understands, and usually does not do it again! I only put him in the chair for about 5 minutes!
    dez32

Answer by dez32 at 11:08 AM on Jan. 30, 2009