getting sick, could it be in his head?

SS, 10, has a habit of feeling sick (wanting to vomit or actually vomiting) just before his mom picks him up to go home. She is the custodial parent. This has been going on for a year now. He had a case of gastroenteritis last year and got A LOT of babying and attention from her (she babies him in general though) and since then he seems to have really played it up. Anyway, the doctors cannot find anything wrong. And he is always fine before he feels sick, acting perfectly normal, not sick at all. And it only happens just before she is going to pick him up, so that when she picks him up he gets the "ah, my poor bubba....blah, blah blah." He won't that sort of babying attention from his dad or I. His dad and I are fairly convinced it is psychological and for attention. What do you gals think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Jan. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• yeah id say it sounds like it i would have his dad talk to the child's mother about it and the babying him
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 12:09 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• He has and she doesn't see it...she took offense when he asked her to stop using baby talk (she always refers to herself in the third person when she talks to SS) and uses words like huggy and kissy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• i think maybe ur dh should take his son to the doctor and tell the doc whats up and they can or should tell if he is purposely throwing up and stuff and i think maybe talk to some one about her she sounds really messed up her self:( sorry best of luck to you!
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 12:16 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• that is funny, not ha ha funny though. she just got her degree in psychology. So, duh, she is messed up. Most psychologists are just as wacky as the people that see them. I don't see how she can miss the connection. Seriously, you have a good idea though. I'll bring that up with DH.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Sounds a lot like my stepson...... So, when he acts sick-we treat him like he's sick-but w/out special attention.... He has to stay on the couch and lay down-except for meal times, and then we sometimes just give him soup while the rest of us eat whatever we've made up..... Then we let the other children play but he's not allowed to-because he is "sick"...... The truth usually comes out rather quickly that he was faking it then, but he still has to stay on the couch cuz he told us he was "sick" and now must handle the consequences for his actions and verbal communications. He is 9yrs. old......
    MR777

Answer by MR777 at 8:48 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I know that it isn't always the case, about psychologists. Though in my experience the only people I know who have gone into the field of counseling psychology happen to have some serious issues themselves. To me it would be the same as if I went into teaching and was illiterate. Everyone has issues, but some people have more than others and have no business counseling other people, but they get into the field anyway. Often I think it is too figure themselves out more than having the true desire to help others. Just like you cannot truly love someone until you love yourself, you cannot truly help someone with mental/emotional problems until you have dealt with your own baggage.
    Anonymous

• oops, I meant "to" not "too"
    Anonymous

• Also, we do treat him like he is sick, w/out the babying when he is really sick here. But the issue is that he only gets "sick" right before his mom comes to pick him up. It is always 10-5 minutes before she arrives. He never gets sick in the middle of his time at our house.
    Anonymous