My dogs nose is SO dry,

My golden Labs nose is SO chapped, its cracked and sometimes even bleeds, why is it like that? what can i do to help her? this might sound stupid lol, but can i put chapstick on her nose?

Trinity32188

Asked by Trinity32188 at 12:28 AM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Pets

• Animals tend to dehydrate more frequently in the winter months due to the excessive indoor heat being dry. Goldens are prone to Winter noses, where the color may change from dark in the Summer months to pink in the Winter months. Chapstick is fine on the nose however I prefer Eucerin cream as it is non scented/hypoallergenic. Make sure to rub in well. Also make sure dog is getting adequate fluids. If this does not start to look better in a few days consult your Vet. More than likely it is due to dehydration from the Winter months.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 5:03 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Go to the vet because it could indicate an underlying health or skin issue.

Noses don't have to be wet 24/7 but a severly dry nose and chapping is not normal.

Also look at if he spends a lot of time in the sun, is he rubbing his nose on something etc...to try to get an idea ?

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/diseasesandconditions/f/FAQ_drynose.htm
    Here is a litlte article with some more insight.

Hope that helps.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 12:38 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Poor puppy. I second calling the vet.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 12:40 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Is your house very dry?
    Sharon7772

Answer by Sharon7772 at 12:47 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• ive always heard that a wet nose means a healthy dog, dry nose means the dog could be sick..i would take her to the vet..especially if its bleeding..i hope your puppy is ok!! :)
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:27 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My mom's dog had a perpetually dry nose. We had her checked for health issues and there were no underlying health issues to be found. The vet said that some dogs just have dry, leathery noses. What worked best for her was Lansinoh- the stuff made for breastfeeding moms. It's medical grade lanolin, safe for them to ingest, and a little of it goes a very long way. She never had they typical wet nose, but it did keep it from cracking. I would get anything underlying ruled out, but if there's nothing wrong try the Lansinoh!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:33 PM on Jan. 30, 2009