How can I transition my baby from co sleeping to the crib?

mykingjosh

Asked by mykingjosh at 12:33 AM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• GREAT question... I need help with the same thing! With my son I had to get used to hear him crying :( It was terrible the first few days but eventually he learned to self soothe himself. Still co sleeping with my daughter and not going to move to the crib for awhile longer. Good luck though girl I hope it goes okay for you!!
    ProudMomma2183

Answer by ProudMomma2183 at 12:35 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• put them in there crib and let them cry ok it sounds bad but its not check on them every 15 mins and make sure there not hungry i had to do this with my daughter besides crying is GOOD for babys after a week they will get used to sleeping on there own
    cielo1

Answer by cielo1 at 12:38 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• you just do it..everything will be fine after a couple of days
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:09 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I don't know how crying could be GOOD for a baby. Do you like crying? Is it GOOD for you? CIO, especially with an infant under 6 months, is wrong. Babies cry for a reason. It's their only form of communication, and if they're crying, something is wrong, or they need something, whether it be a feeding or just a cuddle.

Read The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley...It offers great suggestions.

I would suggest a slow, gradual process. Sleep with her on the floor in your room, then just have her sleep on the floor in your room, and then sleep in her room with her, and then her by herself. It will make the transition smoother.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 2:32 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• We're slowly transitioning our son right now. We put our son's crib next to our bed like a little side car, and removed the side of the crib so that it's like a little extended mattress. He falls asleep with us, and once he's out really cold we scoot him over to his crib. If he needs me in the middle of the night I can just scoot over to his crib to nurse him, or bring him into bed with us. We're slowly transitioning him so that it will be a gentle transition. The idea of just listening to my baby cry - even if he's only crying because he misses me - seems barbaric and totally unnecessary.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 5:16 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Well, it depends on the age. If the baby is like a year or so, I'd just transition them to a bed, since they are already used to sleeping in a bed.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:22 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• crying strengthens the lungs ask your doc
    Anonymous

• the ones who are 'gradually' transitioning are just waisting your time..just do it!
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:41 PM on Jan. 30, 2009