Is there a defining moment in your mothering time that you knew without a doubt that you were a fantastic mother?

My parents were prejudiced against those not our race, people they felt were heavy ... I knew when I was growing up that I didn't want my kids if I had any to be like that. I worked hard to teach them that what makes us good is the what, what we do that's more often more good in different ways or one way than our weight or our skin color. When my son was 7 we invited his school friends to his birthday party.One child didn't show at one point. I asked my son what he looked like and he told him he didn't know, that his friend just looked like himself. His friend was of another race, I was so proud of my own son that he didn't describe him by his skin color rather he described him by personality. My son remembered even at a young age that his friend's personality was more important than his race. I felt really strongly that I was successful in that way of several ways that I wanted to be a mom. What's your mom moment?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Jan. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• Aww wow props to you and your son because I would have described him by race, not intentionally offending anyone, but I wouldn't have known what else to say. People describe me as "that Asian girl" or the Chinese one and I don't really care. With that said, my baby is only 6 months old so I haven't had that "moment" yet.
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 1:13 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I think the fact that my soon to be 14 yr old still hugs me and tells me he loves me every night before he goes to bed says a lot. I must be doing something right!
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 2:26 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My son is only 15 months old, but everytime we go for an outing, or to the store, people stop to check him out. It really chimes my heart when they ask, "Is he always this good?" And I can honestly tell them "YES!". I can't say what or if I'm doing anything "right" over the next mommy, but I do know my hard work really pays off when it comes to visitors, and strangers. Everyone loves a friendly happy baby...(but I love him even more when he's at his worst too.)
    This is anonymous because I don't want to seem like I'm bragging.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:06 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• When my DD found $195.00 at a fair and turned it in to the lost and found on her own. She was 10. She could kept it but she knew right away what to do with it. All the other kids that we were with said to her we could of had fun with that. She told them that could be their rent money or their grocery money. That she was turning it in and no one could tell her different. I was about the proudest Mom at that moment.
    connietrrll

Answer by connietrrll at 3:19 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My daughter will be three next month, she's been in therapies since 10 months and we have moved twice in the last year, so she's been in three different Early Intervention programs and with three different sets of specialists. Every time we have left an area, the therapists have really complimented me on my parenting and working on her with her therapy. They have given me the credit for her progress. It always feels great to hear that because it's hard to deal with it all day after day.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:41 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I'm so glad to get postivie afirmation of how well we are raising our sons on a daily basis. We ALWAYS get compliments on how well behaved or how smart or how happy they are; no matter where we go. I've had people come up to me in resturants and comment on how well the boys acted or in the stores people have conversations with my older one who is only 2, but "running for mayor" LOL. Its nice to hear that i'm raising kids that make people enjoy their presence.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:51 PM on Jan. 30, 2009