How many had dr's who did miss or almost missed your delivery?

I never figured I'd have a dr who would almost miss the birth of my child, but delivering my 4th child, they made me wait almost 20 minutes to deliver my baby b/c the dr wasn't there. I dialated to 6, & he started moving down. I was delivering soon after that. When we told the nurses I had to push, 3 RAN in my room, and more ppl in there getting the room ready and then we had to wait for a bit, but the nurses were telling me not to push & 1 nurse actually held him in there. I screamed I don't care if you call a vet, you better get a dr in here b/c he's coming now. He was literally a half a push away from having the head completely out when the dr walked in the door. No1 called dr until I was 9 cm and this is my 4th baby? WHAT? I just wondered who else had been through this experience. Then after I deliver, nurse says oh dr wants us trained to deliver in case he doesn't get here in time! GRRRRRR

Central_IL_Mom

Asked by Central_IL_Mom at 12:50 AM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• my dr. came in just in time to catch my son. lol. i was induced so they thought it would be a long labor. nope, i had him 4 hours after i was induced and went from a 5 to a 10 in 15 min.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:54 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• That would piss me off. Nature doesn't take it's course on a doctor's schedule. OOOOOHhh!

My first baby, my doctor missed the delivery. Her mother died and she was out of town at her funeral. The doctor that delivered my baby was her associate. She delivered the baby, then brought her 3 children in the room to meet my daughter.

2 years ago that doctor and all 3 of her children died in a private plane crash over the holidays. Her husband didn't go. It's so weird to watch video of my oldest's birth because they were all on the tape and the kids were so much younger then.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 12:57 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• with my son I was ready to push, had been in labor for 11 1/2 hours, and my dr wasnt on call... the on call dr was across town, and the nurses said i would not start pushing until midnight... wrong, i said I need to push (this was at like 9 45pm) and the nurse told me i could, and my son started to crown. The nurses delivered my son, the dr was there to deliver the placenta. my son was born at 9:51pm.. nowhere near midnight... and they wonder why i switched DRs
    blondie09

Answer by blondie09 at 12:57 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• yup my doctor made it back in the room just in time.. i remember the nirse saying dont push and i was like i am not she is though!!
    MCKsmomma

Answer by MCKsmomma at 1:00 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Yes doc was there just before she came out. its a shame that nurse did all the work and the doc got paid so much more!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:07 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• actually i was mad bc MY dr didnt deliver my baby and the other perverted dr delivered mine. he pissed me off. but my aunt was mad cuz her dr didnt make it in time. a nurse caught her baby. she was liek so um why am i paying u exactly cuz YOU didnt deliver my baby. haha. and btw dr's dont do ANYTHING!! the nurses do sooooo much more its ridiculous! i think nurses should be getting paid more.
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 1:12 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• OMG!! I am so sorry. I went to a midwifery that had five midwives. They each had a day that they would be on call. Throughout my pregnancy I got to meet with each one and they all knew what I wanted during labor/delivery. I liked all of them so it didn't matter who was there. On the day I went to the hospital, there was a midwife already there helping another mother in the room next door. She checked on both of us periodically. I was really happy with them.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:24 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I watched the movie "Knocked Up" when I was about 5 months pregnant, and I made my doctor swear he would not be going anywhere anytime near my due date. He promised that he never went anywhere when he had a woman due.
    So, 36 week appointment, its a Tuesday. He tells me he will be out of town from Thursday-Monday, and that I would be fine so long as I didn't go into labor. Haha. (I went pre-term at 33 weeks)
    So Saturday rolls around, and I go into labor, and deliver at 3:46am Sunday.

I had never met the doctor that delivered my baby (my doctor had a private practice-no partners) and this SOB told me about 15 minutes before my daughter was born that if I would stop screaming and push this would be done already. I wanted to kill him.

GAH!!!! lol
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:26 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Yes it happend to me. My nurse kept telling me that I was nowhere near ready to push, but I was! The doctor was downstairs in the cafeteria and they didn't even call or page her because they didn't believe me that I just HAD to push, I screamed yes I DO and they checked and they started panicking realizing that yes the baby was indeed coming. They call a male EMT that was in the hallway to come and assist. He never had delivered a baby before but he did that night!! 10 minutes after she was born the doctor came in!
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 1:30 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• with my 3rd baby, I had the on call doctor. He did a good job and everything worked out great.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Jan. 30, 2009