My baby dosn't want to eat ANYTHING... What should I do?

Hi everyone, my son is 18 months and he doesn't want to eat absolutely anything here lately, I have tried so many things, even the things he like the most, he still won't eat him. That's been going on for like 3 days now, I don't give him snacks, hoping he'll eat some real food, but no, then I see that is late already I try again, and if nothing i give him snacks so he has at least something in his tummy. I am so desperate, what should I do? Please give me some advice!

promisenatalia

Asked by promisenatalia at 1:40 AM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is he running a fever? Is he keeping any liquids down? My grandson is doing this right now and he has more teeth coming in. He only wants cold liquids and cold soft foods. Also he has not eaten when he had an ear infection.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 1:46 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Honestly its just the age. They are learning that they are independent people and can pick and choose what they want to eat and do! My daughter did the same thing for a while but you have to just tough it out- they will eat when they get hungry enough. My thing would be to offer her little bits of different stuff at every meal so she had some variety to choose from. For instance a sandwich, maybe a little bit of fruit some cheese slices or yogurt, or some veggies. Give them a few different options. And I discovered that not giving her anything to drink until she had eaten just a little bit really helped too! Good luck and again dont worry he will eat when he gets hungry enough! Just hang in there and keep trying momma!
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 1:47 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• ugh! DD is 19 months and she had been doing this too! I have heard most kids go through a stage like this. My SIL gave me some great advice. We got an ice cube tray and filled it with healthy snacks like chopped carrots, peanuts, almonds, blueberries, dried apricots, grapes etc. Basically anything that is healthy and easy to eat. Don't do the same item in each square; mix it up. Then we set this out where she plays. This gives her the ability to choose what she eats and when she eats it. This really worked for us! So we started putting her lunch and dinner in it. She would sit in her high chair and pick out noodles, pieces of a sandwich, veggies, etc.

This totally changed her eating habits in about 1 week. She seems to be much more interested in eating now.

I don't think snacks are bad. It is more about the quality of the food. Food high in nutrients.

Good luck to you!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:50 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• jcsscfam5 - What a cute idea!! I love it!!
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 1:55 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Thank you mommies very much! He drinks a lot, but I mostly give him water, I mean now, usually he has juice! Oh, and by the way, I got upset today that he wouldn't eat, and put him in the bedroom, I thought he was going to cry and all, but when I went in there he was sitting down with a cookie in his hand, I found that he had a few more in his Toy Box LOL I'll try and do the variety thing tomorrow, see if it helps, thank you'all very much!
    promisenatalia

Answer by promisenatalia at 1:57 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• try holding him in front of 2 or 3 foods such as cereals or fruit or mac n cheese that you know he loves....and see what he's craving.....i think kids are just like us....and they're not always craving what we expect them too.....if anything try just keeping him hydrated!....even ice pops are good for that!!! that's what we do when the twins get sick and don't feel like eating....or offer clear liquids
    mamaoftwins0107

Answer by mamaoftwins0107 at 2:01 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• mamaoftwins . . that is a great idea!

sweetpea . . . Isn't it a great idea! I wish I could claim it as my own.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:11 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Kids will eat anything if they just get hungry enough.
    dihalu

Answer by dihalu at 3:11 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• It is probaly the age!! He will eat when he is hungry, don't force him!! I went through this with my daughter who is now 8 and a very good eater!
    dez32

Answer by dez32 at 11:03 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• The fact that you give him water is great, I do the same for my little girl she has always wanted water. and that could be a big part of why your child is not wanted to eat. Water is filling! And, thats why it is so good for us..Holds over longer and keeps us full, we dont over eat. When we dont have room for it. Try cutting back on the amount of water you give him around/with meal times. Also try, cutting his foods into fun shapes, and what not..to give him something different. He might be tired of eatting the same thngs over..but by changeing the way the food looks to him..he will more then likely eat it..Because it is fun! *but, also dont feel like you have to make him eat* He is at that age..he will eat when he is ready! As long as he is drinking, you have nothing to really worry about.

Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 30, 2009