how to i introduce my dogs to a new baby??

i have 4 dogs, a yorkie who is a year and nine months, she had puppies, two of which we kept and i also have a poodle (male) the same age as the yorkie. Im not due til august bbut i do want to start preparing my dogs for a new baby in the home... my poodle is very attached to me and doesnt let my boyfriend kiss me or st next to me, he just wedges himself between us... i am most worried about him.. any suggestions???

dlepasti

Asked by dlepasti at 1:48 AM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Pets

• My fiance and I bought a babydoll as close to the size and look of a real baby as we could find (and that was cheap cuz some are super expensive!). We carried the baby around and snuggled with it as much as possible so the dogs could get used to it. The doll came in handy when i had to teach my fiance how to change diapers too! Once you have the baby, have your bf bring home a blank that baby used (and possibly spat up on can help) so the dogs can get used to it. when you come home make sure you come inside alone and take a few minutes to love on the dogs then have your bf (or whoever) brings in the baby. As for the clinginess, they could change that on their own. You'll be so busy you won't have time for them to be clingy and they'll know. they might start playing with each other and snugglin with each other more. that's what mine did and they both were super clingy!!
    aeryka310

Answer by aeryka310 at 1:57 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• well the clingy one, you need to distance yourself from him.I promise it will bug you more than the dog, but that has to stop hon.As for getting animals used to a baby, play a cd of baby noises, crying ect. so dogs get used to it,let them smell the baby things, diapers, baby lotion, and when you have your child, have boy friend bring a blanket of somethig home w/your babys smell on it, let them smell it but no chewing or growling.any aggressive behavior needs to be corrected right then.Let them see, smell baby but do not allow them into babys room, make it a no dog sone for a few months, and never leave baby alone with in reach of a doggie.There is lots of web info on this, but that was a start.Good luck!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:53 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• ha ha ha ha ha i think that you are right that it is going to hurt me more than my dog to mak him be more distant with me ha ha ha... ahhh.... im freaking out already.... lol... but thanks again that was great advice!
    dlepasti

Answer by dlepasti at 1:56 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I personally think dogs have nothing to do around babies, especially newborns. I dont like pets around kids in general. but thats just my personal opinion. I would love to have a dog someday. but not before my child is old enough to protect herself and until she knows how to exactly treat a dog or whatever. its animal after all and you never know how they will react on what the child does. Too much bad shit happens every day with kids because you cant just leave a pet alone with your child for one second.

But anyway. i agree with bearsjen, you need to distance yourself from the dog and you need to start very soon, because it will take a while. Its going to be a hard time for you too, because the dogs are very important to you, which i totally understand. i wish you all the best.

:-)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 2:51 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I found this article on the web. Hope it helps. I did a lot of the same techniques when I brought my daughter home. But my dog at the time (crossed the rainbow bridge in August :-( ) loved my daughter and was very protective of her.

http://www.dogmanners.com/Yournew.htm
    GoGreenMom68

Answer by GoGreenMom68 at 11:09 PM on Jan. 30, 2009