what does age have to do with it...

I read the question about what other moms do that you dont like...and I noticed that alot of people said "young moms". What the hell does age have to do with it? I had my DD at 17, and I KNOW I dont know more than some others, but I know I m a good mom. So what does it matter if I was 17, 33, or 12 as long as I am the one taking care of my daughter and she is loved??

Mikayla_lynn

Asked by Mikayla_lynn at 2:36 AM on Jan. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• I agree with you, i hate when people look down on me cause iam a young mom and i get drity looks all the time, Iam 21 and have 2 kids i got pregnant with my first child when i was 16 who is now in heaven. I got pregnant with my daughter when i was 17 and 18 with my son. Im just as good enough as all u other mothers out there.
    lorenzosgurl

Answer by lorenzosgurl at 2:43 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Well, I'm not speaking for or against anyone, but people sure do show their immaturity by flaunting their own age, as if it had ANYTHING to do with how much life experience they have (or don't have). Don't let them beat you down, ladies. People will always have more of something, and less of something, then the next person. In this case, those who condescend in their tones tend to have MORE to say, and LESS couth in which to say it. So smile to yourself everytime someone says something, because you already know how good of a momma you are! The rest is dandruff.
    Ophy

Answer by Ophy at 2:56 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• im one of them who think age does matter. and it does a lot.
    of course its important to be a good mother and to love your child but please be honest, we all know that this is not everything.

I have (depending on where i live) good chances of a better job than a 17yr old without any degrees and without any experience.

Then there are SO MANY young mother who are just not mature enough to know what it means to have a child. i dont know if you are one of those. So i dont judge.

i judge those who are immature and dont face their responsibility and are lazy asses. And thats many of those young mothers. Because of your question i think you are NOT one of them. So kudos to you.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 3:06 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• A young mother is not necessarily young in age. Most people refer to young moms as a mother who has young children. For instance my roommates (she is definitely an unofficially adopted daughter of ours) has 2 girls ages 9 months and 2 years. They call me Nonnie. She is a "Young Mother" and she is 26. She is still learning things like if her toddler has to much juice she won't eat dinner. So please don't take offense to the comment. It is relation to the age of your children not really your age.
    connietrrll

Answer by connietrrll at 3:11 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I agree with mrobertson811 and I applaud you for being a good MOM!
    Momoftwo278

Answer by Momoftwo278 at 3:16 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Age shouldnt matter because there are plenty of older moms doing the same thing as young moms, Theres older moms killing there kids, beating there kids, and showing no love to there kids and as well as young moms. There are older moms who dont work as well as young moms. And for the whole you cant get a good job without a degree isnt true because i had a great job working for a stock company and i was a drop out and didnt have a G.E.D at the time. There is older moms who are immature as well as young moms. So we young moms shouldnt be looked any differently as older moms all that should matter is how you raise your kids, love your kids, and provied for them. Not on your age.
    lorenzosgurl

Answer by lorenzosgurl at 3:19 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Wow, on the flip side, I just thought my explanation of a young mother was not of her age nearly but of her babies age! As in girl, teenage girl, young lady, woman, wife (possibly, maybe, sometimes first), Mother and if you have a new baby to me that would be a young mother! HA different for everyone regardless of age! HA LOL....different prospective, okay I don't think I have anything to add...
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:03 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Age does not matter if you take responsibility for your child and give them all the love that they deserve. I got pregnant at 18 the first time and my husband and I decided we weren't getting married until after we had the baby and it was comfortable for us. There was no way I was going to get married just to please other people because they didn't agree with what happened...I am a christian and honestly I don't think it would matter if I did because god knew what happened anyways so I wasn't going to hide anything from anyone. We got married almost a year ago and now I am 20 and we are pregnant with number two. He has a very good job and I go to school and stay home with our son. We are very happy. Also just to add my SIL was 16 when she had her first child, she had another at 18 ....she got married at 18 and now she has SEVEN children and they were all very well taken care of. It doesn't matter as long as it is right for you
    LOVE2bMOMMY525

Answer by LOVE2bMOMMY525 at 11:18 AM on Jan. 30, 2009