If you continue...

If your body is very swollen, and you do not have pre eclamspia as of now, but you continue to walk and be active while very swollen, can THAT [just staing on your feet while they are swollen] CAUSE PRE ECLAMSPIA?

i put my feet up every night and throughout the day....

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:55 AM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I can't answer your question about causing pre eclampsia, but I can say, if you're swelling a lot, to either reduce or increase your intake of sodium.. depending on how much you have in your diet, because not getting enough sodium can cause swelling as well.. and also increase how much water you're drinking.
    You probably need to be check for it if you're swelling everyday, it's a really serious condition.
    xxPaulaxx

Answer by xxPaulaxx at 5:24 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I don't think that walking around and being on your feet can cause pre-eclampsia by itself, since pre-eclampsia is caused by high blood pressure, but it can make swelling more severe. The best things you can do are, put your feet up as often as possible and as the pp said make sure to watch the amount of sodium you are taking it. Too much sodium can cause swelling. If the swelling continues and is severe then you should definately give your dr's office a heads up so they can keep an eye on things.
    momof2il

Answer by momof2il at 8:48 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• walking is actually good to do, unless you are told otherwise. When you swell the best thing is drink lots of water, cut out salty foods, and elevate your feel. No need to quit walking because of swelling, unless it hurts to walk. You should bring it up to your doctor so they can keep an eye out of. It could be normal water retention and doesn't always mean that pre-e is around the corner.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:51 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• That is just a fancy word for high blood presure when pregnant. Being on your feet can at times cause swelling but drink lots of water..it help push the fluid out. I would walk some every day. Just dont over do it. As long as the swelling is gone when you wake in the morning it is totally natural to have swelling.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:23 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• well since you're particular situation, they're making you rest more because they're worried about that..for normal pregnancies, i would say no, i was a fat ballooned cow w my other 2 and walking just made it worse for me..the only thing that helped was elevating my feet..if i were you i would seriously stay off your feet.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:28 PM on Jan. 30, 2009