When does a child really understand what the word NO means?

NuMommy87

Asked by NuMommy87 at 3:14 AM on Jan. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• It depends on when a parent starts working with them. The earlier you start teaching "no" and disciplining (modified versions for younger ones, obviously) the earlier they're going to understand.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:54 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Mine got the concept around 12 mths.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 7:39 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Children understand what no means when they are told no, and you follow through. And they are able to comprehend...........in other words.........a 2 month old does not need to be told no, so no need for him/her to comprehend. When you need to start saying no, that is when they should understand what that means, and that is ALL on mom.
    debralicious

Answer by debralicious at 8:44 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My DD was 7 months. She would stop doing what ever she was doing when I said 'No'. and give me a sly smile.
    She is 11 months now and bursts into tears whenever I tell her 'No" Lol.
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 9:16 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I say at 12-14m, they dont really understand there doing anything wrong till then i would say...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 12:52 PM on Jan. 30, 2009