Don't know what to think ....

My son just started middle school this year. He is in 6th grade. Throughout Elementary he had a hard time with not turning in his homework or just not putting enough effort into doing the work. He was constantly getting notes sent home or having to call home. But since he started 6th grade, I have only gotten 3 notices about this, and his grades have gone way up. He seems much more interested in school also. But he seldom has homework, and this school is known for not passing the standardized state tests. I am wondering if they are just not giving as much work, or if they are on a lower level than they should be, or if my son is just enjoying school more and therefore doing better. Have any of you experienced anything like this?

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 3:57 AM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Girl you sure your not talking about my son?? He hit the 6th grade, a new school in a new county, very timidly. He had been having problems with bullies since 1 grade and we were praying that this would be the change needed. He's smart as a whip, has been on honor roll since he's been in school. But homework was a very bad subject, and he would always come home mad, hurt or just tired. The new school system is awesome!! The Principal told all the parents at open house that they would not be sending home 'homework' on a regular bases. Maybe here and there in math, but NOT every night. By doing so this has taken a school system that was so awful people made jokes about the people that went there. They are now in the top 50 in the nation, 3rd in state. So check with the school system, they may be changing things around. My child has never been this happy actually love'n school!

Sweet_Peach

Answer by Sweet_Peach at 10:53 AM on Jan. 30, 2009