With all these Companies crying we need business, why does their customer service suck?

All the corporations are crying that they need business, especially in the retail industry. Why is there customer service terrible? Why don't they train their employees how to deal with customers? And why are the supervisors even worse than the employees? Why is there no accountability in this country anymore?

akhlass

Asked by akhlass at 4:22 AM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I know how you feel! I hate going shopping and asking where an item is they always say Im busy.
    pinkanfgrl

Answer by pinkanfgrl at 5:00 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• i know in illinois they are going to be closing so many stores.
    shannonmarie759

Answer by shannonmarie759 at 5:52 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Very good point, didn't think of it before but you are so correct. Customer service in many places stinks.
    Bangle

Answer by Bangle at 6:18 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• you aint lying!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:27 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• This is so true. I remember when it used to be different. In fact, it is so rare that dh and I actually commend someone when we get good service. Maybe now that stores are closing, businesses will be fighting for our business. I plan to (a) shop American when I can, and (b) shop in stores where the service is at least cordial.
    sunnygirl42

Answer by sunnygirl42 at 7:26 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I completely agree sunnygirl42!
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 7:51 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• It's a vicious cycle. Because of the economy, people started buying less. Stores had to make cutbacks. That includes payroll, and stores are forced to run with less employees. Training time for new employees has been cut back, and employees really are "busier" because they are having to do more than one job at once.

Service is not going to get better until companies are adequately staffed.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• They're also culling the experienced employees. My aunt ran the service desk at a Von Maur for over 10 years. They found a BS reason to fire her (she cannot prove they set her up, but it has every indication of it ) so they don't even have to pay unemployment. The people left have all been there less than 2 years and don't make half of what my aunt did after all those years of merit raises.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• The Retail Industry is notoriously known for paying minimum wage, not offering annual cost of living increases/merit pay raises, not hiring the "best" employees (because of the low pay), not effectively training said employees, asking them to perform more than OTHER minimum wage jobs, assigning crappy work hours, and treating employees like they are second class citizens.

That said...for FUN (and because I like having my OWN spending money!), I work retail like 10-15 hours per week. It doesn't require any skill, and it gets me out of the house for a few hours. I'm 40, and before becoming a SAHM I achieved a point where I earned a 6-figure salary. When I was 12, I earned $2.52/hour!!! Now I make $7.35/hour (but I get a GREAT employee discount)...talk about a humbling experience!!! LMAO!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:37 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Sorry, Im in the South, Everybody is nice here, so I dont get what you are talking about.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 9:14 AM on Jan. 30, 2009