Aching Hip Joints After Baby

I had my baby almost 7 months ago, big healthy 8lb 8oz girl vaginally. Late in my pregnancy my hips began to bother me at night. I was hoping after she was born they'd eventually get better. They're not! I ache at night and they pop and hurt during the day. Is anyone else going through this? Is this going to get better over time? What can I do to make my hips better?

Devory

Asked by Devory at 4:33 AM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Health

• I experience hip pain like this right before I gave birth, but my sons' werent quite as big (7lb7oz and 7lb10oz).. I never had anything like this afterwards.. I think you might want to talk to a chiropractor or someone.. 7 months is a long time to have to fully recover..
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 4:56 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• During pregnancy hormones relax the muscles and ligaments particularly around the hips to enable you to adjust your posture as your belly grows and to allow for an easier birth.  This can cause them to ache.

http://www.articlesbase.com/science-articles/hip-pain-during-pregnancy-722580.html

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:57 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I'd head to a chiropractor and maybe a good anusara yoga studio. Sounds like pregnancy and childbirth got your hips pretty far out of whack, and it may requrie some work and time to correct the problem. Good luck!
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:54 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My hips hurt like that and it didn't start until a few months ago... My boys are 12, 6 and 5 so it's not pregnancy related... They didn't hurt back then, it just started a few months ago... I got an elliptical, it's helped A LOT!!!! After a week on 'that and I don't have anymore pain at night... Its cheaper than a bonecrusher and better for you!! lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• After my daughter was born last May, I had the same problem! My hips would literally lock up when I got up from a seating position, causing a terribly painful cramping sensation that made it hard to stand upright and walk at all. I saw an orthopedic doctor about it, and she explained that it is a result of the ligaments loosening during pregnancy, then trying to tighten back to normal afterwards. She gave me a couple easy stretches to do daily, and by the time my daughter was 4 or 5 months old, it had stopped completely.
    littlejreece

Answer by littlejreece at 2:13 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I also experienced this kind of pain when i was pregnant. However, eventually it just went away after i gave birth. But if its bothering you. It is best that you consult your doctor on this to avoid any kind of complication. DePuy Pinnacle

pinnaclelawsuit

Answer by pinnaclelawsuit at 10:36 AM on Mar. 16, 2012