Kindergarten, is a full day too long? I need honest help

My ds has been in school since he was 3. The first school was wonderful! I miss that school so much! He had only been there for four months and we (the teachers, school bus driver, teachers aids had been a like one big family) they cried when we left. We purchased a house so we had to move. I transferred him to a pre K program (it was terrible) He was there for about 2 months. Then in September, I transferred him to public school pre-k. I Loved and adored the teachers, ds was a bit on the wild side. Hyper (inherited) however, academically on point! He was on a level of 65% (good behavior) and 45% I wouldn't say bad or terrible, ds was just being ds. It can be bothersome at time, but its a maturity issue. Then he goes to Kindergarten and this school has been a problem every since. (cont)

websavvy

Asked by websavvy at 4:46 AM on Jan. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• OMG! The school year started off terrible. The class was over crowded, more than the state allowed. After nothing being done, I spoke to the Board of ed and told them, if they didn't do something about this I would be contacting the state. I and other parents had been furious. They broke up the classrooms and made them smaller. The teacher he was assigned to was actually a 2nd grade teacher. She complained just about everyday, there was always something. Not just my ds but others as well. One day I came to school and she was gone for 3 days. I asked her what happened and she told me she just couldn't take it. RED FLAGS going up. Now mind you, this is not just my ds. She told me she had twins at home and she had many things to do and yadda yadda. Right then my gut told me to have him moved. She was not and is not prepared to deal with toddler - school age children.   Moving forward a bit because this is getting long.

websavvy

Answer by websavvy at 5:12 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Anyways, I sat in the class room a couple of times and noticed she has no structure, no formatted way to deal with these type of K students. Every 5 minutes 1 interrupted the class to go to the bathroom, reading time was terrible (sitting on the rug) she was interrupted, I don't know- about 17x . The kids got bored started talking to one another and so on. She was working on something with them, while she was in the front of the class, the lil people in the back of the class had been struggling. I took my time in assisting them with the task. This has happened more than one.They love it when they see me come in the classroom, they greet me and give me hugs.

The teacher has no upbeat happy tone, especially when one of the kids does something, her tone changes, instead of stern more of an annoyance. My son was supposed to color (something) I asked him what happened to his crayons (she, the teacher said) tell your

websavvy

Answer by websavvy at 5:14 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• mother what happened. You had been playing with them and  I tossed them in the garbage, I'm like what?

Then yesterday my son tells me on the way home, the teacher snatched his chips out of his hand and gave him a paper cut! Wait it gets better...my son has his STAR WARS inserts that come in the packages, the small pieces of paper, he loves those. He had one in school, should he have had it, probably not. Anyways, she took it from him shredded (tore it up) and tossed in the garbage. I'm like what???? back in the day, when out teacher took something, they gave to the parents at the end of the day. I would never shred something I know he likes right in front of him. ANYWAYS! DS is SO SMART! He waited, took the stuff out the garbage and brung it home to me ( I now have proof) I called the schoool to speak to the principle, she wasn't there, so I checked in with the nurse because he said she had sent him.

websavvy

Answer by websavvy at 5:24 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I don't think it has anything to do with a full day, it has to do with the teacher! Stay on it!! Don't give in until you get some answers and some changes are made! And also...don't worry about who you piss off! You need to do what is best for your son, and the situation is obviously not it right now. Besides...if you don't do something, then this is all going to happen to some other kid!!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:29 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I think the teacher got wind of my call and she called me 8pm last night....She left a message (mind you, she has never called me) she told me we needed to discuss ds and she had some issues and concerns...YEAH! right lady! Yeah, the paper cut is a small issue, however, the action she took has me ticked off. If my ds should get any kind of bruise, paper cut or whatever, it will come from me. I don't mean that in a brutal way, I mean it as, he is my child and you have no business causing him any any kind of harm (even) a tiny paper cut.
    I am working on my letter to her now (in writing) asking her politely not to "snatch" or pull anything out of ds hands. Anything she need to confiscate, needs to be given to me at the end of the day or held on until the end of the year. Furthermore, I am working on a solution so that ds won't be consistently, as you feel, disruptive to your class. In the meantime,
    websavvy

Answer by websavvy at 5:30 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I ask that you work with him until we have a solid solution in place.....I want him outta there....I am going to the principal this am! If they don't do something I am going to the board of ed.
    O, drats, the question was, is a full day of K too long. Some counties only do K, half days. I was thinking about letting him go half day and the other half I would home school or work with him, until he starts 1st grade. Any help, please?
    websavvy

Answer by websavvy at 5:32 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Thank you TiccledBlue. I yeah, a few people will be PO. This is ridiculous!
    websavvy

Answer by websavvy at 5:34 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• You need to document everything on paper and take it to the principle. I had a bad teacher with my son who is high functioning autistic. She had no patience or experience with a child with the disorder and actually told me nothing was wrong with him and that she thought he was deformed. I finally got her in the principles office for a meeting and she showed her butt. My son was transferred to another class with a better teacher. Go to the office with your documentation and tell them you want a transfer to a new classroom. They will likely give it to you since you have complained alot already.
    As for your son and his behavior just keep on top of it. My son like I said had issues as well and eventually we had to go see a behavior specialist to help him with his maturity and what not and dealing with school.

Answer by gemgem at 7:53 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Some children are ready for a full day, some arent. It depends on there maturity level. It sounds like your son would be better of in a 1/2 day. But........for now as the year is half over with, I would stay on the ball, document everything. Let teacher know you are keeping tabs. I think your letter that your writing sounds great. And ask teacher what steps she is taking to help your son. Do they have a school counselor? Perhaps this is a good time to get the counselor involved. Good Luck~
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:45 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Hmmm...half day school/half day homeschool. Possible I guess. Something for you to check into with your school district! (if you feel he can't handle a full day)

From what you've written though, I don't think the problem is full/half day....it's a crappy teacher.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:20 AM on Jan. 30, 2009